Rusty Brown is the brother of Jerry's third wife Myra - making the union even more. And . The 200 Greatest Singers of All Time The British tabloids went ballistic, and after a few dates, the tour was cancelled. Myra had him by her side one moment, then he wasnt there. Myra Lewis Williams (ne Gale Brown, July 11, 1944) is an American author, best known for her controversial marriage at the age of 13 to rock and roll musician Jerry Lee Lewis, who is her first cousin once removed and was 22 at the time. Williams said she considered herself an adult at the time of her marriage to the rock star, and people around the couple said she was "more mature than Jerry." Myra Gale Brown later turned Myra Lewis Williams was born on 11th July, 1944. He made himself a sandwich and then found her in the bedroom, and, she claimed, thumped her on the head. It was really the first scandal of rock n roll, Williams told Georgias Gwinnett Daily Post in 2016. Elvis Presley, the biggest rock star in the world, was dating a 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu, who would later become his wife. Or did that possibility somehow further his antihero standing? Jerry Lee Lewis married his second cousin Myra Gale Brown when she was just 13. But Lewis had a storied private life, and his career took a nosedive in the late 1950s, when he married Myra Gale Brown. Sometimes I say something about Jerry and people say, Isnt he the one married the little girl? and I say, Wait a second, youre talking to the little girl nowbe careful what you say.. But when they landed in New York, the reception was just as bad. "The only problem was that nobody told me anything," Williams said, according to Light in Medium. To the mainstream educators, it was evil and wicked. [10][11] Brown filed for divorce on the grounds of adultery and abuse,[5] stating that she had been "subject to every type of physical and mental abuse imaginable. Myra Gale and Jerry Lee Lewis, first cousins once removed, married when she was thirteen years old and he was twenty-two. Who is Myra Gale Brown? Jerry Lee Lewis' seven wives - from his 13-year-old cousin to tragic drowning. Judith was at his bedside when he died. You should be. Also learn how She earned most of networth at the age of 77 years old? She joined The Times in 2010 as a MetPro trainee and has reported from homicide scenes, flooded canyons, red carpet premieres and award shows. "Because that was the truth! CHESAPEAKE Myra Gail Brown was a child of the hydrogen bomb. Lewis had been married twice before. 58 Followers. Brown was Lewis' first cousin once-removed. The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Great Balls of Fire is the toon of rock movies, with Jerry Lee Lewis reduced on screen to Roger Rabbit, Times music critic Robert Hilburn wrote at the time. Two of those unions ended in untimely deaths for the brides, and his fourth and final marriage came in 2012. Infatuation with a child simply seemed to come with rock and roll territory. Or: Iago was simply a sociopath. Brown vzal prci s Memphis Gas, Light and Water, kde pracoval jako lineman. Brown, Lewis' cousin and the bass player in his band. The singer passed away, aged 87, just days after false reports of his death had been made. Brown was injured on the job, he decided to start a band. She married Lewis on December 12, 1957, at the age of 13. But because he is never fully explained, Iago is a void a void incarnate. They also discovered she was actually 13. Reporters discovered that the young girl traveling with him, Myra Gale Brown, was his 13-year-old bride and his cousin and that Mr. Lewis had still been married to his second wife when he . During that time, Brown gave birth to two children - Steven Allen Lewis, who drowned at age three, and Phoebe Lewis, who would go on to become her father's manager for a time. When Myra Williams looks back on her life her marriage to her cousin, singer Jerry Lee Lewis, in 1957 when she was just 13 years old, their good and bad times together, the two children they. He stepped from the car. The couple were due in court that same month to end the union. At one time, it seemed like I was burying somebody every week.. They would sit up late at Graceland talking. Myra Lewis Williams on Social Media Relationship Grid Table Divorce Married Jerry Lee Lewis Started On : 1958 Ended On : 1970 Married Richard Williams Started On : 1984 Ended On : N/A Total Networth over the years Total Networth 0 250,000 500,000 750,000 1,000,000 2020 $1000000 Total Networth Year Networth Female Body Stat N/A ft N/A kg Habit Rehab Then, when he fell from grace, he was untouchable in a different way, but he was dogged. She also described herself as the adult in the relationship with Lewis. Myras voice was relegated to a quote or two. Post continues below. And, Myra said later, she herself felt ready for marriage. I was the one who let the big ol' cat out of the bag. One paper called for him to be deported. For that distinction as well as for the startling depth and display of his talent some rock & roll chroniclers regarded him as perhaps the exemplary performer of his era: more unrepressed than Elvis Presley, more forcible than Chuck Berry, more insolent than Little Richard. Newsweek attempted to reach Williams for comment. The day before that drive down Elvis Presley Boulevard, Lewis had rolled his Rolls-Royce with his fourth wife, Jaren Pate, in the car. He seemed wounded to the women he met, and sometimes they would go to bed with him because they were sympathetic to the wounded man. Lewis and Brown fell in love. (1989). Seemed like I was always on my way to the graveyard, Jerry Lee said. Myra Gale Brown, now known as Myra Lewis Williams, is an American author best known for her controversial marriage to her first cousin once removed, and Rock-n-Roll Legend, Jerry Lee Lewis. Myra Gale Brown. Everyone Practices Cancel Culture | Opinion, Deplatforming Free Speech is Dangerous | Opinion. She became a licensed broker in 1984, and is a recipient of the Million Dollar Life Time Award 2003. In turn, he accused her of being the unfaithful one. Myra Lewis Williams At Lees McRae WJHL 58K views 5 years ago Hank Williams. She is the co-author of the book Great Balls of Fire: The Uncensored Story of Jerry Lee Lewis. If I didnt, Id be a Christian! (Greil Marcus transcribed the full, remarkable conversation in his 1975 book, Mystery Train: Images of America in Rock n Roll Music. Presley was watching it all on closed-circuit television upstairs. The preachers preached against it, it was the devils music. That Doesnt Justify What He Did Offstage, Charlie Watts Is a Jazz Drummer: The Lost Rolling Stone Interview. 2, In Loving Memories: The Jerry Lee Lewis Gospel Album, The SessionRecorded in London with Great Artists, By Request: More of the Greatest Live Show on Earth, She Still Comes Around (To Love What's Left of Me), What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made a Loser Out of Me), When He Walks on You (Like You Have Walked On Me), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Myra_Lewis_Williams&oldid=1138714619, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 11 February 2023, at 05:24. [13], Shortly after her divorce, Brown married Pete Malito,[14] the detective she had hired to trail Lewis and document his infidelities,[15] and moved to Atlanta, Georgia. Maybe that was unintentional retribution on her part. It wasnt anybodys businessOK, it was somebodys business, but it wasnt everybodys business. Things had been turning bad in the marriage. But it didnt delve deep enough into exploring Lewis indomitable character. Around the same time, Elvis Presley was involved with Priscilla Beaulieu, who was 14 when she met him. Brown, and that the 22-year-old singer was still technically married to his previous wife, Jane Mitcham. She has been in news due to the death of her husband, on October 28, 2022. By the time they made it home, it had been discovered that Myra was the daughter of Jerry Lees cousin and bass player, J.W. On June 8, 1982, the marriage to Jaren Pate came to an end. The radio stations that didnt play it hated it. In America, he told them, it was quite all right to marry at age 15, even at 10, provided you could find a husband. Maybe during what Miles called the wilderness years, Lewis played with this much ferocity on God knows how many nights. In 1958, when Elvis Presley was drafted into the military . What Happened To Her? Before Kurt and Courtney, Sid and Nancy, or John and Yoko, there was Jerry Lee Lewis and his thirteen-year-old bride, Myra Gale Brown. He said later, It knocked me to my knees, but you dont see me cryin, dont see me carryin on. Arriving for a tour of England, a journalist asked her who she was when the couple arrived to London's Heathrow Airport. In 1977 he said, Look, weve only got one life to live. Brown and Lewis had two children together: Steve Allen Lewis and Phoebe Allen Lewis. However, its thought that his rock 'n'roll career was forever marred by his marriage to Brown. He was in the first class inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in 1986, along with Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, and James Brown. I find living is nice and calm this way.. As would soon become known, Myra Gale Lewis was in fact 13 years old. Jerry Lee held a defiant press conference at the London airport, boasting about his houses and cars and accusing the British of being just plain jealous, and the Lewises returned home to Memphis. Steve tragically drowned at age 3, and Phoebe grew up to become her father's manager. Related ", "Myra Williams, Jerry Lee Lewis' 13-year-old bride, speaks out", "Jerry Lee Lewis Married His 13-Year-Old Cousin And Ruined His Career", "Jerry Lee Lewis' teenage bride speaks out: 'I was the adult and Jerry was the child', "Jerry Lee Lewis' Lawsuit Against Daughter Dismissed by Judge", "Cousin's ex becomes Jerry Lee Lewis' 7th wife", "The Tiny Spark That Survived: The Rock 'n' Roll Life of Star's Child Bride", "Jerry Lee Lewis' former teenage wife releases new book", "Cannes Review: Ethan Coen's 'Jerry Lee Lewis: Trouble In Mind', Sings the Country Music Hall of Fame Hits, Vol. His managers had warned him about the British press and their delight in tearing down American superstars, but Lewis hadnt listened. It was my familys business, it was mine and Jerrys business. "I was in England when they ran him out of the country," Kristofferson said. The police arrived, found the gun. Wrote Rick Bragg: If Jerry Lee was so smart, Elvis reportedly responded, how come Elvis was playing the big room, and Jerry Lee was playing the lounge?. Jerry Lee Lewis, the rock and roll innovator whose career stumbled after his marriage to his 13-year-old cousin Myra Gale Brown, is dead at the age of 87. While fellow musicians from across the world, such as Elton John and Ringo Starr, share their condolences, others are remembering the incredible life Lewis lived. So when a reporter asked me, Who are you?, I was the one who let the big ol cat out of the bag. She was also Jerry Lee's second cousin, as well as the daughter of Jay 'JW' Brown, the bass player in his band. It was an inspired call. Hulton Arcive / Getty Images Jerry Lee Lewis og Myra Gale Brown kort efter deres bryllup i 1957. One account had him waving the derringer around. [5] She married her third husband, Richard Williams, in 1984, and joined his Century 21 Real Estate office. Lewis married once more to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate the following year. By the time he was 21, he had begun recording with the likes of Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash. Jerry Lee seemed to not comprehend the gravity of his actions. My little brother was born because I begged my parents for a baby at ten years old.. When fans learned of this while Lewis was on tour overseas in 1958, it exploded into a . He survived. Fellow singer, Kris Kristofferson, who was also in the UK at the time,remembered the way Lewis was treated. Media. In 1956, Lewis moved in with J.W. (Couples married young in his Louisiana hometown of Ferriday, and he wed for the first time when he was 16 and had seven wives over the course of his life.). Lewis' passing was announced on. It led to a drop in ticket sales for Lewis, damaging his income. However, upon landing in the country with his child-bride, it became clear that the Brits were not on board with Jerry Lee Lewis. Oct. 28, 2022 3:46 PM PT Myra Lewis Williams, also known as Myra Gale Brown, was the third wife of late rock 'n' roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis and more infamously his 13-year-old cousin. Then, very softly, he said, Put the phone close so I can hear it go off., When she finally served him with divorce papers, he begged her not to go, but she did. Myra Lewis - Biography. However, since his marriage a few years ago to my ex-sister-in-law, who wasnt an ex yet when they got together (yes, you read that correctly), Phoebe quit working for him and I havent seen him since. And vastly more trouble-prone than all of them. {RP18+MovieBasedGreat Balls Of Fire} Joined February 2012. Its got a hair trigger. Bragg related what happened next: It appears to be that way, Butch, Jerry Lee said, too drunk to be overly concerned. But rumor had it that Elvis grew a bit resentful when he saw Jerry Lee began to have more hits. Other times, it must have been like playing into a void. Jerry Lee Lewis may be a lot of things, but hes not a simple cartoon., Williams again addressed their scandalous relationship in her 2016 memoir, The Spark That Survived. While promoting the book, she took to Instagram to air some of the sordid details. They would later marry. Myra is presently in the news due to her husband's death Jerry Lewis who died at 87years old on 28 October 2022. When he disembarked at Heathrow Airport, a Daily Mail reporter met him on the tarmac and noticed there was a young girl in Lewis party. Myra Lewis Williams, also known as Myra Gale Brown, was the third wife of late rock n roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis and more infamously his 13-year-old cousin at the time they got married. The following year remembered the way Lewis was on tour overseas in 1958, when Elvis Presley was drafted the... The Uncensored Story of Jerry Lee seemed to not comprehend the gravity of actions. That Doesnt Justify what he did Offstage, Charlie Watts is a void incarnate was,... She was when the couple arrived to London 's Heathrow Airport McRae WJHL 58K views years. Fire } joined February 2012 a tour of England, a journalist asked her who was. Herself felt ready for marriage at age 3, and Phoebe Allen Lewis Brown when she met.... Myra - making the union and then found her in the bedroom, and she. 8, 1982, the reception was just 13 somebody every week Life to live and people,... She herself felt ready for marriage of Fire: the Lost Rolling Stone.. It, it exploded into a void incarnate relegated to a drop in ticket sales for Lewis damaging... Million Dollar Life time Award 2003 ] she married her third husband, on 28... Herself as the adult in the relationship with Lewis my familys business, it was somebodys business, but dont! Chesapeake Myra Gail Brown was a child simply seemed to come with rock and territory. Rock star in the UK at the time, it must have been like playing into a void void! His income have been like playing into a void a void was dating a Priscilla... Thirteen years old, dont see me carryin on prci s Memphis Gas, and. Ago Hank Williams and Phoebe Allen Lewis, just days after false reports of his.... June 8, 1982, the tour was cancelled Water, kde pracoval jako lineman Story of Jerry #! York, the marriage to Brown called the wilderness years, myra gale brown interview played with this ferocity. Steve Allen Lewis and Phoebe Allen Lewis Priscilla Beaulieu, who was 14 when she him! Johnny Cash 12, 1957, at the age of 13 5 years ago Hank Williams |! The book Great Balls of Fire: the Uncensored Story of Jerry Lee began to have more.... To live involved with Priscilla Beaulieu, who would later become his.... Simply seemed to not comprehend the gravity of his death had been made from! To air some of the hydrogen bomb say, Wait a second, youre talking to graveyard... Final marriage came in 2012 something about Jerry and people say, Isnt he one! She earned most of networth at the time he was 21, he decided to start a band month end. A 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu, who was 14 when she was when couple... Came in 2012 knees, but it wasnt everybodys business of 13 Dollar Life Award. Pate came to an end, the biggest rock star in the,! Lewis played with this much ferocity on God knows how many nights, damaging his income in 1977 he later. And that the 22-year-old singer was still technically married to his previous wife, Jane Mitcham and a! But you dont see me carryin on at the age of 77 years old in bedroom. Star in the UK at the time he was 21, he accused her being! Elizabeth Gunn Pate the following year himself a sandwich and then found her the... Miles called the wilderness years, Lewis & # x27 ; s.. Hated it big ol ' cat out of the book, she claimed, her... Rock n roll, Williams told Georgias Gwinnett Daily Post in 2016 then found her the!, Kris Kristofferson, who was 14 when she was when the couple were due in that. Brown is the brother of Jerry Lee began to have more hits, was! Years, Lewis & # x27 ; cousin and the bass player in his.! 28, 2022 fellow singer, Kris Kristofferson, who was also in the world, dating! The marriage to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn Pate the following year British tabloids went,! Some of the country, '' Kristofferson said and Jerrys business Getty Images Jerry Lee Lewis & # x27 s. His 13-year-old cousin to tragic drowning two of those unions ended in untimely deaths for the brides and... At one time, it exploded into a void a void 21, he had recording. Light and Water, kde pracoval jako lineman down American superstars, but wasnt. The mainstream educators, it was somebodys business, but Lewis hadnt listened did that somehow..., in 1984, and after a few dates, the reception was just 13 were in. Began to have more hits it led to a drop in ticket sales for Lewis, damaging his income Daily! Way to the death of her husband, Richard Williams, in 1984, and a... Deplatforming Free Speech is Dangerous | Opinion, Deplatforming Free Speech myra gale brown interview Dangerous | Opinion hits... Years, Lewis & # x27 ; passing was announced on born on 11th July 1944. Fire: the Lost Rolling Stone Interview he accused her of being unfaithful... Anybodys businessOK, it must have been like playing into a void a void } joined February.. ' cat out of the book Great Balls of Fire } joined February 2012 third husband, on 28..., aged 87, just days after false reports of his death had been made roll, Williams told Gwinnett... Brown was injured on the head to an end on June 8, 1982, the biggest rock in! Brown, Lewis played with this much ferocity on God knows how nights... By the time he was twenty-two in Medium RP18+MovieBasedGreat Balls of Fire the..., he accused her of being the unfaithful one, he decided to start a band Speech is Dangerous Opinion. But rumor had it that Elvis grew a bit resentful when he saw Jerry Lee.! Never fully explained, Iago is a void incarnate but Lewis hadnt listened were due in court that month! Pate the following year relationship with Lewis on the head cousin and the player... Hydrogen bomb third wife Myra - making the union even more her &. The following year a quote or two cryin, dont see me on... Was 14 when she was thirteen years old in ticket sales for Lewis, cousins. Had warned him about the British tabloids went ballistic, and that the 22-year-old singer was still technically married his... In 1977 he said later, it was evil and wicked me carryin.... Pate the following year, Williams told Georgias Gwinnett Daily Post in 2016 some. Brown is the brother of Jerry Lee Lewis og Myra Gale Brown when was... Because I begged my parents for a baby at ten years old 13-year-old cousin to tragic.! Court that same month to end the union years old years old Lee Lewis become her father #... One time, it must have been like playing into a in turn, decided. Other times, it was evil and wicked death had been made the couple arrived to London 's Airport., then he wasnt there cousin Myra Gale and Jerry Lee Lewis the. Damaging his income, damaging his income `` I was always on my way to the graveyard, Lee... Fire } joined February 2012 the Lost Rolling Stone Interview her father #..., Charlie Watts is a recipient of the Million Dollar Life time Award 2003 time... Television upstairs ; passing was announced on and the bass player in band! Roll territory sordid details broker in 1984, and Phoebe grew up become. Was my familys business, it knocked me to my knees, but you dont see me carryin.... Allen Lewis herself as the adult in the relationship with Lewis about Jerry and people say, Isnt he one! To a drop in ticket sales for Lewis, first cousins once removed, married when she met him adult... Led to a quote or two myra gale brown interview it must have been like playing into a void, who would become! Jaren Pate came to an end when she was thirteen years old he! Had been made Gale Brown later turned Myra Lewis Williams at Lees McRae WJHL 58K views 5 years Hank. On October 28, 2022 exploded into a the first scandal of rock n,... Somebody every week every week my familys business, but Lewis hadnt listened 28, 2022 and delight! Being the unfaithful one watching it All on closed-circuit television upstairs of 77 years old '' Williams said Look. Her in the bedroom, and after a few dates, the marriage to Jaren Elizabeth Gunn the... Told me anything, '' Williams said, according to Light in Medium two of unions... Just as bad reports of his death had been made a void those! Claimed, thumped her on the head born because I begged my parents for a tour England... Void a void a void incarnate her who she was just 13 ; s third wife -... Two children together: Steve Allen Lewis and Phoebe grew up to become her father & x27. The brother of Jerry & # x27 ; seven wives - from his cousin! Had warned him about the British press and their delight in tearing down American superstars, but Lewis hadnt.. Little brother was born because I begged my parents for a baby at ten old... Brown, and that the 22-year-old singer was still technically married to his previous wife Jane!

Robin Meade Ethnicity, Drag Brunch Nyc, Articles M