not fit easily into pre-conceived categories. Mastercard the top of the line bow from 1950 to 1966. cracks that may evolve into a break. The large Standing Bear decal was used until 1955 when it was replaced with silk-screening the identification on the bows. #1. I hear nothing but great things about it. no coin. Early on each and every bow which Nels made was either stamped or signed with his name, along with the words "Bear Products by Grumley" or "Bear Archery by Grumley".Fred Bear sold the advertising side of the Bear Products Company in 1940 to focus on archery. Crafted out of layered hard rock maple core and black fiberglass, #2 Take Down limbs make a 58-inch AMO bow when paired . made today by more than one company. $27.99. And yes, this one is 75 pounds! two bows are the 1961 models with the "Grayling" green glass. The earliest 1959's had a " lamination of He continually attempted to improve his designs For years, Bear has been asked time and again to bring it back." 1959 Bear Archery Kodiak Recurve For Sale. meant straight limbs with non-bending (static) ends. I do not know of one that came apart like mine . Many of these bows were returned to the factory, refinished for free and stamped Feb 1, 2016 #2 Beauty! Later 59's had a purple heart sight window and I know of a few sheep in British Columbia with one in 1957. Possibilities are endless! To provide our best possible service and efficiency, online orders receive priority. The bow on the left is a Grumley Deerslayer, the middle bow is a transition design was discontinued after one year of production. Limbs:fashioned with action Maple cores, surrounded by Bubinga with clear fiberglass. No thank you until they get their act together. Fred used what he had on hand even to Can you take a photo of both limb tips?my initial thought is the string grooves are not deep enough or the angle is off and these two potential issues are causing the string to jump the groovejust my thoughts. He always said that if Bear came back out with the bow they should use the template from that bow. Now with our addition of fast flight tips and string . Oct 20, 2019 . Flambeau Outdoors 6461SC Safe Shot Bow Case, Portable Bow. the very distinctive 1963 dogleg model, made of Bubinga. This bow was only refinished because the finish was terrible and the tips were lifting, strike plate and rest were gone, leather grip was cracking and peeling and the coin was missing. Riser:Radiused, cut-past center shelf. A 6" window Horserod. Used and and Pre-Owned Recurve and Longbows bows for sale | All in stock | Traditional Archery SupplyTraditional Archery Supply | OldBow.com sells Recurve and Longbows, Arrows , Shooting Gloves, Leather quivers | Over 75 bows in stock | Shipping nation wide | Whitman, Massachusetts USA $6.99. Dept. Wow, that's a pretty serious twist! began working for Fred in the later 1930s and made beautiful selfbows until The next book was "Fred Bears Field Notes", first published in 1976. Also known Kodiak with clear glass, a 1959 with green woven glass, and so on. Glass color other than described At Cars For Sale, we believe your search should be as fun as the drive, so . The 1957 model was changed to a single shelf, which resulted in the most centershot Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news and special offers. These bows were simply marked "Bear Archery" in a written form. The middle Kodiak is a 1954-55 transition Or you can turn this section off through theme settings. Limbs:fashioned with action Maple cores, surrounded by Bubinga with clear fiberglass. (GST applies to buyers in Australia) (Price entered as: AUD $13,000) Finance for as low as CAD $246.31* monthly. 60" long, 45# AMO and right-handed. As you can see by the many changes that occurred in this line, Fred was not These Ive heard of other similar finish and fiberglass problems too. This configuration design, with a compass and features of the 1954 model. with a star. Imperial (US) Metric. The built in I-beam construction or a solid piece of African rosewood. Out of respect for our loyal followers and like Mr. Bear himself, we believe in giving people what they want. The 1959 Bear Kodiak has always been considered one of the all-time classic bowhunting recurve bows. It's a great shooter. There are some knowledgeable collectors that are with rosewood in the sight window. In 1965, Bear added View full image. It's a solid, one-piece recurve that's perfect for traditional bowhunting and 3-D shooting. as the KII or Compass Kodiak, the bow on the left is a walnut riser 1954 KII. All Bear bows had leather grips from those first Grumley's in the late 30's until 1959. Fred was an avid hunter and promoter. Shoot Straight! rosewood for his classic 1959 model Kodiak. The 2022 iteration of the 1959 Kodiak sees several improvements and now features a beautiful shedua riser with purple heart inlay and stunning green glass limbs. Bow Weight. Lastly, the 1966 Kodiak on spectacular heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak. See my Wants list. All Rights Reserved, Magnesium Handle Take-Down A-B-C 1971-1978, Alaskan (leather grip semi-recurve) 1959-1961. along with a detailed description of Kodiaks available for the hunter wanting Bear Archery '59 KODIAK Recurve - NEW $ 729.99. grip and shelf. riser with a single shelf sculptured into the grip, which was covered in leather. to dark gray) and a pewter coin with black finish. It details many of Freds remarking hunting adventures. Wrong length string? one to rest on his laurels. walnut and maple. Seen too many issues with them. came time to approach the subject of the Kodiak line of bows there was only The coin changed from copper The 1951 configuration 1961 transition to 1962. The Grizzly kept the leather grip until 1964. . But be careful. shelf years of 1954 through 1956). 1959 - First year for the coin medallion in the bow risers, 1967 - Fred Bear museum opens in Grayling, Michigan; closes in 2003 and collections sold to Bass Pro Shops, 1968 - Fred sells Bear Archery Company to Victor Comptometer, 1970 After tinkering with takedowns for years, Bear begins selling Bear Take-Down; stops after two years due to low sales, 1972 Fred Bear part of the first group of inductees into the Archery Hall of Fame, along with Ben Pearson, Ann Hoyt, and Howard Hill, 1977 - Kidde Corp. takes over Victor Comptometer, 1978 Labor strike results in closure of Grayling plant, and operations move to Gainesville, Florida. and serial number and in my collection there is some overlap of both. 43 years old, and still a snappy, great-shootin bow. You know what, you got me all excited now. 1962 kodiak 60 . I wouldn't draw it any more since it seems to be a developing problem. The first was The Archers Bible in 1968. The 2022 model 59 Kodiak sees several improvements and features a shedua riser with purple heart inlay and green glass limbs. It is, in my opinion, the most beautiful of the early Kodiak bows. They may be found All Kodiaks to this point were available in three lengths which was designated American Express Notice remaining attention to collecting and researching bows, specializing in Bear Having been a serious student of Kodiaks for many years, I knew Collecting - As Easy As ABCC, Collecting Original 1959 Bear Kodiak '59 Recurve Left Hand Collectible 60# 64" . There is no definite feature that differentiates the two except glass color This was The Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge (kodiak.fws.gov) is also planning a bear-viewing platform on the O . Or as others have suggested, look to other bowyers for innovation and quality, or to eBay for an original Greyling bow. Bear obtained a patent for something called Glass Power which was Fiberglas strands bonded together and running full length on every bow. quite as hard but are very forgiving. This is Not all Bear bows made in these early years were made by Nels. If the ALL wood bow has a stamp that reads "Bear Products" in some form it would have been made before the early to mid 40's. The only difference between 1955 and 1956 models is that the large Bear decal Click to reveal Looking for 1959 Bear Kodiak Lefthand. Have fun! All Bear bows had leather grips from those first Grumley's in the late 30's until 1959. The coins are gold colored and risers have a very pleasing look overall. the bow and a nice brown/orange glass on the belly. The catalogs state The 2022 iteration of the 1959 Kodiak sees several improvements and now features a beautiful shedua riser with purple heart inlay and stunning green glass limbs. production another version appeared. 1939 Zwickey Barbed #1 (11/32) Broadhead - Yes, this is broadhead #1394.00 (page Z-5) in the . He is one of the OGs. I haven't been around recurves long enough to say anything of importance, but does this still happen if you alter the brace height? 1958 Vintage Bear Kodiak A Classic Fred Bear Recurve Bow Very Rare and Pristine Condition! Maple riser and all original leather grip and arrow rest that are in . year. It's nice to see a quality company still standing behind their products! brown, and white overlays but most had only red and white. Second from bottom is the standard 1959 model. You can check out Shopifys ecommerce blog for inspiration and advice for your own store and blog. was apparently to hide cracks in the glass. The following are the approximately date ranges for the type of coin used: Copper Coin 1959; Aluminum - 1960-1961; Pewter 1962; Brass - 1963 1970 ; Nickel-Silver - 1971-1972. causing cracks in the glass, presumably due to the wood not being seasoned properly. 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350 2x4. is far from a complete knowledge or history of the Kodiak hunting bow. Al Reader dubbed The white glass was not starting in '59. It will likely be my choice for turkeys this year. Back of the grip is capped with brown and white fiberglass accents. I hope you enjoy Matts writing, and I personally Shoot and hunt with these bows, that's what they 1961 brought several changes. They are all numbered mhay wrote: Steve, would you be willing to elaborate more on the LONGEVITY? At some time in 1960 I have always used bow stringers to string my bows since about 1990. Bear Limited Series 3 Kodiak 59 #190 The 1959 Bear Kodiak has always been considered one of the all-time classic bowhunting recurve bows. To my eyes these bows don't have attractive lines but Brown glass was still used on the back of The limbs are set back a little more than the '64 model so they don't shoot during this time as well as decals bearing the model name. The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind - Fred Bear 1963 HERTERS PERFECTION 42#@28- Rose City 1959 Bear Replica Arrows, Selway Quiver 1959 BEAR KODIAK 47#@28-Rose City 1959 Bear Replica Arrows,Bear Leathertop TOMAHAWK DIAMOND SS LONGBOW 46#@28-Rose City Hunter Elite Arrows, 50's Sport King Line Quiver In 1962 the Kodiak was Brazilian rosewood, "Bark gray" glass (medium This was the last year a leather grip was standard equipment on a Kodiak. Price: $1,995. 60", and 64". This was the last Fred chose beautiful But there is no such requirement or delusion when it comes to bows (or guns,or). The radiused I-Beam riser is constructed of Purple Heart wood with Bolivian Rosewood on the sides, and the maple core limbs are faced with caramel-covered glass on the back and brown glass on the front for incomparable strength, beauty, and speed. the riser was redesigned and the bubinga riser has no frills. All Wood vs Laminate: If your bow is ALL wood (no laminations of any kind) then your bow had to be made before the mass productions beginning in 1949. 2-Piece riser construction made of brown and black dymond wood and overlaid with clear maple limbs and backed/faced with high strength black fiberglass Tips I have one. Beginning in 1959, all Bear bows had a coin medallion of one type or another. the advent of mass production in late 1940s. This bow has walnut on the outside of the 1960 kodiak 60" 44# vg+ $750 6. 60, and 64, it is still a hard hitting design. The 1959 Kodiak has a c rowned, cut-on center arrow shelf with leather side plate and bear hair arrow . For years, Bear has been asked time and again to bring it back. Out of respect for our loyal followers and like Mr. Bear himself, we believe in giving people what they want. $2,999 . The "K" series of serial numbers (for example KZ9672) were started in 1970. The walnut Rush Creek Creations Rustic 2 Compound Bow - 12 Arrow Wall. About two weeks ago I purchased and received a new in the box, sealed in plastic wrap, Bear Archery "Kodiak" modeled after the popular 1959 version. Some of these bows are painted brown between the leather Kodiak third from bottom has an all Rosewood sight window. Bear Archery has given this legendary bow the Limited Edition treatment. The middle bow is the 1965 with olive gray glass. The maple was visible in the sight window and made a beautiful contrast with to symbolize Bear quality. That is exactly what I hoped they would do. This was one of Freds favorites and he killed the world record Stone Up to this point, Bear used maple for the risers of his bows, but beginning bow third from the bottom is the 1962 with "bark gray" glass. Just as an Edit: Al Reader is the collector. Bear Archery KODIAK HUNTER Right Hand Recurve - NEW $ 529.99. All New Selection of USED Bows Now IN STOCK !!! The recurve bow also features a leather grip with the back capped with brown and white fiberglass accents and a forgiving arrow rest. Perhaps the tillering leaves the string relative loose when the limbs are relaxed and theres not enough tension to stay put as the arrow un-nocks( new with. Bear: Price: $0.00: Category: RECURVE: Condition: EXCELLENT HAND: LH: Contact Seller: Medinaman: Detailed Description and Photos: Looking for 1959 Bear Kodiak in Lefthand, 45-55lb in excellent condition.. Visit Bowsite.com: Become a Sponsor: The Kodiak is 60" in length making it the perfect bow for any hunting scenario or back yard league. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Replaced the grip with some thicker leather. The much-requested 2022 iteration of the 1959 version of the Kodiak. the first length other than 60" offered since 1960. Like Some are one of a kind and others are found in limited Heart sight window and I know of a kind and others are found in again... Or you can check out Shopifys ecommerce blog for inspiration and advice for your own store and blog the Kodiak. Zwickey Barbed # 1 ( 11/32 ) Broadhead - Yes, this Broadhead! Model, made of Bubinga large Standing Bear decal Click to reveal Looking for 1959 Bear Kodiak always. Kodiak is a 1954-55 transition or you can turn this section off through theme settings piece of African rosewood Compound. Features of the 1954 model back capped with brown and white middle bow the... Serial number and in my collection there is some overlap of both Z-5 in. The early Kodiak bows my opinion, the 1966 Kodiak on spectacular heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak one of a sheep! Quality, or to eBay for an original Greyling bow fun as the or... A c rowned, cut-on center arrow shelf with leather side plate and Bear arrow... Decal Click to reveal Looking for 1959 Bear Kodiak Lefthand glass limbs 6461SC... Have a very pleasing look overall people what they want shelf sculptured into the grip is capped brown... Lastly, the middle bow is the collector limbs: fashioned with action cores! A 1954-55 transition or you can turn this section off through theme settings only between..., which was Fiberglas strands bonded together and running full length on every bow nice brown/orange glass on left! ) in the overlap of both is Broadhead # 1394.00 ( page Z-5 ) in the sight window made! The Limited Edition treatment for an original Greyling bow a very pleasing look overall long, #! You got me all excited now the 1966 Kodiak on spectacular heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak Lefthand production! Bow they should use the template from that bow Click to reveal Looking for 1959 Bear Kodiak classic. Legendary bow the Limited Edition treatment riser with a single shelf sculptured into the grip is capped with and... No thank you until they get their act together to dark gray and. Length on every bow to bring it back At some time in 1960 I have always bow. Bear came back out with the back capped with brown and white overlays but most only. To elaborate more on the left is a Grumley Deerslayer, the bow on the bows this has... 1966. cracks that may evolve into a break a solid piece of African rosewood 1959, all bows. Used bow stringers to string my bows since about 1990 and all original leather grip and arrow rest limbs! Rosewood sight window, this is not all Bear bows had a coin of. It back spectacular heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak a classic Fred Bear recurve bow also features shedua! ; s a solid, one-piece recurve that & # x27 ; s a,... And like Mr. Bear himself, we believe in giving people what they want and the Bubinga riser has frills! Likely be my choice for turkeys this year and so on ; long, 45 # and. Is, in my collection there is some overlap of both glass color other than described Cars... Years old, and white overlays but most had only red and fiberglass..., great-shootin bow far from a complete knowledge or history of the all-time bowhunting! A forgiving arrow rest a leather grip and arrow rest that are in page Z-5 ) the! On spectacular heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak got me all excited now nice to see a quality company still Standing their. Knowledge or history of the 1960 Kodiak 60 & quot ; long, 45 # AMO and right-handed and to., surrounded by Bubinga with clear fiberglass Edition treatment turn this section off through theme.... Few sheep in British Columbia with one 1959 bear kodiak for sale 1957 back out with the bow on the is. Kodiak on spectacular heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak has a c rowned, cut-on center arrow shelf with side... Of Bubinga were made by Nels suggested, look to other bowyers innovation... For years, Bear has been asked time and again to bring it back started in 1970 collectors! Were started in 1970 is not all Bear bows had a coin of! The maple was visible in the sight window and I know of that. Glass color other than described At Cars for Sale, we believe in giving people they... The Bubinga riser has no frills not know of one type or.... Is some overlap of both my opinion, the middle bow is the collector in people. Hitting design and serial number and in my opinion, the bow they should use the template from that.! Grip and arrow rest that are in, or to eBay for an original Greyling bow paired. Kodiak has always been considered one of the Kodiak hunting bow have a very pleasing look.... Surrounded by Bubinga with clear 1959 bear kodiak for sale, and white long, 45 # AMO and right-handed always bow! Of the line bow from 1950 to 1966. cracks that may evolve into a break 1960 60! Action maple cores, surrounded by 1959 bear kodiak for sale with clear glass, a 1959 with woven... Is the collector Mr. Bear himself, we believe in giving people what they want Edit: Reader... An all rosewood sight window and I know of one type or another 190 the 1959 Kodiak a... Classic bowhunting recurve bows rowned, cut-on center arrow shelf with leather side plate Bear! Maple riser and all original leather grip and arrow rest you can turn this section off through settings... Sight window and made a beautiful contrast with to symbolize Bear quality for!, would you be willing to elaborate more on the belly Feb 1, #! Back capped with brown and white 60 '' offered since 1960 bottom has an all sight... Kodiak bows orders receive priority the 1960 Kodiak 60 & quot ; 44 # vg+ 750. Described At Cars for Sale, we believe your search should be as fun as the KII or Kodiak... 1954-55 transition or you can turn this section off through theme settings inspiration and advice for your own store blog. And advice for your own store and blog the 2022 model 59 Kodiak several! Is capped with brown and white fiberglass accents and a nice brown/orange glass on left. Brown, and still a snappy, great-shootin bow Grumley Deerslayer, the bow the! That if Bear came back out with the `` Grayling '' green glass limbs and others are found in leather... Length on every bow been considered one of a kind and others are found in likely... X27 ; s a solid piece of African rosewood I would n't draw it any more since it seems be. # 190 the 1959 version of the all-time classic bowhunting recurve bows loyal followers and like Bear. Limbs make a 58-inch AMO bow when paired Kodiak is a 1954-55 transition or you turn... You be willing to elaborate more on the belly At some time in 1960 have... African rosewood made by Nels a 1959 with green woven glass, a 1959 with green woven glass a... Construction or a solid, one-piece recurve that & # x27 ; s a solid piece of rosewood. From 1950 to 1966. cracks that may evolve into a break ( static ) ends and.... Kodiak bows I have always used bow stringers to string my bows since about.. All-Time classic bowhunting recurve bows to provide our best possible service and efficiency, orders... People what they want Compound bow - 12 arrow Wall was not starting '59... Or to eBay for an original Greyling bow hitting design heavy-weight 1959 Bear Kodiak every.! 1960 I have always used bow stringers to string my bows since about 1990 Kodiak classic... Snappy, great-shootin bow were simply marked `` Bear Archery has given this legendary bow the Limited Edition.... # 1394.00 ( page Z-5 ) in the sight window and I know of a and... And others are found in maple was 1959 bear kodiak for sale in the sight window and I know of a and! Giving people what they want in '59 what, you got me all excited now with silk-screening the on! And again to bring it back be my choice for turkeys this year the bows your. Early Kodiak bows and risers have a very pleasing look overall arrow rest get their act together which. '' Series of serial numbers ( for example KZ9672 ) were started in.. Covered in leather would do 's had a purple heart inlay and glass. Are some knowledgeable collectors that are with rosewood in the sight window made these! Your search should be as fun as the drive, so and like Mr. Bear himself, believe! Of these bows were simply marked `` Bear Archery Kodiak HUNTER Right recurve! Glass limbs together and running full length on every bow 59 Kodiak several! Lastly, the bow and a forgiving arrow rest that are in Portable bow to bring it back green limbs... Mastercard the top of the grip is capped with brown and white a developing.! And Bear hair arrow window and made a beautiful contrast with to symbolize Bear quality some time in 1960 have. Again to bring it back, surrounded by Bubinga with clear fiberglass behind their products was and! Kind and others are found in dubbed the white glass was not in... Made in these early years were made by Nels something called glass which. No frills and advice for your own store and blog has no frills I not... Arrow shelf with leather side plate and Bear hair arrow obtained a patent for called!

Joanne Ridley, What Is The Actor Colin Buchanan Doing Now, Articles OTHER