Max Schachter, whose son Alex was killed in the Parkland shooting, reacts as Dr. Rebecca MacDougall, the chief medical examiner for Broward County, Fla., describes a gunshot his son sustained. "It's very high energy," Boiko said of the. ", The Schentrup family stands for a group portrait outside their home in Parkland, Fla., on Tuesday. And they have seen autopsy photographs of almost all of the victims, most of whom were shot more than once. Schentrups opposition to the death penalty was more of an intellectual response than an emotional one, he indicated. "And even as devastating as it was, I kept thinking, 'At least one of my children came home that day.' He was shot before he could even get out of his seat and was reportedly agonal breathing/hyperventilating for a short amount of time before going passing. FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. Peter Wang's mother has four tattoos memorializing her 15-year-old son, one inked on Feb. 14 each year since he was killed. CARMEN SCHENTRUP. The family does not like to disagree. . He shot her on top of her head, he shot her in the heart, he shot her in the spine. After his death his family set up a GoFundMe page to act as a scholarship fund in his memory Meadow Pollack, 18 Helena Ramsay, 17 Alex Schachter, 14 Carmen Schentrup, 16 Satz again asked about the significance of the high-powered bullets. We have to spend days working on her body. Up until now, the Schentrups haven't spoken to the media about the shooting. With more urgency than ever before, the Schentrups support gun control measures such as banning the sale of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. Carmen was 15. hide caption, Carmen skipped a grade early on, and her parents say she never lost her strong sense of self-determination. At least one family walked out of the courtroom during Dr. Boikos testimony. Unfortunately, Carmen never made it out of her classroom alive. The more the Schentrups learned, the angrier they got. Hes the mayors brother, Florida Keys firefighter arrested after deputies say she beat her wife outside a bar, Human smuggling, a truck and a school bus: A Broward child rapist goes back behind bars. Additionally, a bullet traveling through the body at a high rate of speed can cause hydrostatic shock. The nature of a death-penalty trial requires documenting brutal crimes in painful detail, even when the defendants guilt has never been in doubt. ", "Carmen never got that," he adds quietly. But as painful as the loss of his sister is, Schentrup does not believe sentencing the killer to death is the solution. Schentrup, who was an 18-year-old freshman at the University of Central Florida when his sister was killed, remembers her as a brainy and ambitious teenager, someone whose focus was doing well in school so she could go on to study medicine and eventually conduct research to find a cure for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS. Was killed after opening the door to his classroom to let students in. Robert Schentrup Mar 05, 2018 University of Central Florida Julie Halpert February 14: Valentine's Day. ", April Schentrup can imagine what that feels like. April always wears bracelets in honor of Carmen and the 16 other victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Apparently got hit then "slid against the wall and fell down". She saw your daughter get shot. The officer who transported Hixon gave a statement saying that Hixon died on the golf cart en route to the triage area but I could be wrong. Such is the nature of capital punishment: Pursuing a death sentence, even against a defendant whose guilt has never been in doubt, requires putting a community that has already survived an unthinkable tragedy through more agony. Satz again asked about the significance of the high-powered bullets. "I felt like I had to do something to help the families in whatever way I could.". Photos of the Schentrup family and their daughter Carmen fill the living room of the family's new home. But Robert Schentrup whose 16-year-old sister Carmen was among the 17 people killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February 2018 isnt one of them. As they grew older and their interests diverged, television remained something they bonded over; Schentrup recalled binge-watching the entirety of Criminal Minds with Carmen and their younger sister. Was subsequently shot in the back an additional 5 times (killing both girls). April Schentrup is a survivor fellow with the . Philip and April Schentrup, the parents of 16-year-old Carmen Schentrup, allege that the FBI received sufficient warnings about the confessed shooter, including one that was reportedly. One fatal shot pierced her chest, then her heart, lungs and ribs. Youre able to confront your person in court, and thats what this is about, she said. That Mr. Cruz fled the school and went to a Subway and a McDonalds before being arrested. ", "It's unimaginable, but I think we need to imagine it," April says. Shot a single time in the head from close range afterwards. Funeral Home Services for Carmen are being provided by Kraeer Funeral Home and Cremation Center of Coral Springs, Florida. Its hard for me to be of an opinion that my parents dont agree with and actively dislike, Robert Schentrup said. Carmen Schentrup Was More Than A Victim Of The Parkland Shooting, She Was My Sister Two of my sisters went to school that day, but only one made it back alive. But if that is true, I dont think its been publicly avalible at least. "I went close to get a better gauge and she wasn't moving and she was just laying there," she said. Couresy of the Schentrup family The family has no special plans that day. I think it may have been Martin Duque since when they found him he was alive but he died soon after they took him out of the school. hide caption. Very quickly, news started spreading that there had been a shooting at her daughters' high school. Carmen Schentrup, 16. hide caption. Philip, a tech executive, remembers coming home one day when Carmen was about three to find her holding a book. Perhaps nothing highlights the spectrum of feelings on the shooters fate more than the disagreement between Schentrup and his parents. Questions like, how many kids do you have? Politicians on both sides of the aisle expressed their condolences to the families and victims of Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting Tuesday on the tragedy's fifth anniversary. Some sources say he was killed before he could get up from his desk but other sources say that he was killed when him and a group of students hid in a corner that was in the direct line of sight of the door. Family members and classmates held onto the little hope that perhaps she had been sent to the hospital and was in surgery, recovering, but just unidentified. Editor's note: Daily coverage of the Parkland trial is being provided to all readers as a public service. Zero USA Founder & CEO Robert Schentrup is brother to Carmen Schentrup, one of the 17 victims of the Parkland School Shooting. The Schentrup family stands for a group portrait outside their home in Parkland, Fla., on Tuesday. This includes mass shooters, bombers, terrorists, and family annihilators. Some families, including the Schentrups, have chosen not to watch the trial at all. She was involved in her church youth group and different . Her mom was amazing and did great as well. They were among the 17 people killed by a gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on Valentine's Day in 2018. Soul-Less Shoes of Death; How They Do It To Us; The Holohoax; You are Being Deceived; Exposing Corona Video; Message to Agencies; CONTACT. "Lots of people knew this person was troubled. Alex Schachter (Room 1216): Shot in once in the chest and in once in the head. Still trying. Seventeen people were killed and 17 injured in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., in 2018. The painting, acrylic on canvas, is by Parkland artist Nava Lundy, who created portraits of all 17 Parkland victims and gave them to the families. We can change it. . Following the sentencing of Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz, 24, to life without parole for his massacre of 17 people (14 children) in 2018, parents of the young victims came forward to blast the decision to spare him the death penalty. There are a ton of witness reports about it. Dr.. Cara Loughran (Alcove of Room 1249): Shot 5 times (locations unknown). April finds that now in a new city, on a different coast, meeting new people the simplest questions can be the hardest to answer. When they were younger, Schentrup and his sister were almost best friends, he said, thanks in part to how close they were in age. Alyse Young for NPR Everybody should consider what it would mean to lose their child, their spouse. "Just laying there still and there. At the time she died, Carmen had been accepted into the University of Florida's honors program, with dreams of becoming a medical researcher. "But schools aren't taking it seriously. Do they know their names? "It's not fair that she's not with us," Jacqueline said. Reminders of Carmen are prominent throughout their home: here, a photo of her striking a sassy pose in her homecoming dress. Some of the relatives have said they would not comment publicly for the duration of the trial. And when a hail of rifle bullets cut her down in her classroom, the high-velocity bullets caused extensive damage to her body, an associate medical examiner testified on Friday, underscoring the devastating carnage wrought by the AR-15 fired by shooter Nikolas Cruz. At one point, a female juror also wiped away tears. The experience of victims of similar tragedies points to the distress of hearing the brutal details of a loved ones death described in open court. Couresy of the Schentrup family hide caption. It would be 12 excruciating hours before an FBI agent finally confirmed to the Schentrups that their daughter was among the 17 dead. "You can say it's the man sure," Philip says. Parkland happened because of a series of cascading, systemic failures, which allowed someone to get to the point where they would commit a school shooting and buy a military-style rifle, Mr. Schentrup said in an interview. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. That the people that we lost are not forgotten.". One year after their older daughter, Carmen, was killed in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., the Schentrup family works to find a new normal. A native of San Diego, he graduated from the University of Southern California and joined the Herald in 2002 as a sports reporter. And other days it's a lot harder.". Was shot in the 3rd floor hallway but managed to make it a few steps into the 3rd floor stairwell before dying. It's definitely not easy. Instead, one week earlier, she was one of 17 people gunned down at . Nicholas Dworet (Room 1214): Was killed by a shot to the head. "It's something we feel we have to do not only for Carmen, but for Robert and Evelyn. Carmen Marie Schentrup. The other half was diagonally across from the window, in complete view. On March 24, the Schentrups will travel to Washington, D.C. for March for Our Lives, a protest calling for stricter gun regulation. "I just felt this urgency," Lundy says. Get all Latest News about cara dune, Breaking headlines and Top stories, photos & video in real time Anyone can read what you share. "And then come tell me why we can't do things to keep our kids safe. April says when she tells people where they moved from, "They'll say 'Ohhhh! "I felt like I had to do something to help the families in whatever way I could." When I visit the family at their new home, Evelyn is logging in for an orientation session with her new online high school. Jurors have also watched surveillance footage of each victim being shot, and cellphone videos that students recorded during the shooting. "You search for normalcy, a 'new normal,'" he says, then pauses. I had a bad gut feeling about it, testified Wilford who would later learn that his sister, Madeline, was wounded in the attack by the very teen whod been pestering him for a ride. Carmen Schentrup, 16 A straight-A student and National Merit Scholarship finalist, she planned to become a doctor who researched amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly called Lou Gehrig's Disease. We have to want to. "Every day I cry. If shed survived, she would have been paralyzed.. Joaquin Oliver (Alcove of 3rd floor men's bathroom): Was initially shot in the knee and hand and crawled over to the bathroom to try and hide. His body, along with Gina's, can be seen in the hallway during the video of the students being evacuated from room 1213. Anybody have links to the videos OP references? But particularly this one says that one survivor hid directly behind him in the corner and later used his body as a shield: Witness testimony from survivor Aalayah Eastmond describes how she hid behind Dworet during the shooting. Press J to jump to the feed. The urn is blue: Carmen's favorite color. hide caption. Whether it's feel, whether it's call, whether it's knock on doors, whatever it is, that they just do something. Another bullet entered through her ribs and did what high-velocity bullets are designed to do. Melisa Block/NPR The Schentrups have never considered themselves activists; this will be the first time they've taken part in a protest. "It was hard in the beginning, and it's still hard," she says, her voice trembling, "because we miss [Carmen]. This will not help us heal and get any kind of closure, Michael B. Schulman, whose 35-year-old son, Scott J. Beigel, was killed in the shooting, wrote in 2019 in The South Florida Sun Sentinel. Meadow Pollack (Alcove of Room 1249): Shot initially 4 times when trying to cross the third floor hallway. Schentrup was dreading the court proceedings, he wrote in a statement, (b)ecause this is the part where people will tell me that retribution will bring justice and healing to me and my family., This is the part where pundits on TV will invoke the name of my sister to support the murder of another human being, he said. And, as they explain during my visit, they want to share their "hard story" in hopes it will spark some positive change. Part of it was to push people to think internally about their stance and really come to their own conclusion about it, he said. hide caption. 'It's unimaginable, but we need to imagine it'. But when I said it, it didn't sound right," April says. "We become immune to tragedy," he says. The blue urn holding Carmen's ashes rests with photos and drawings in a glass cabinet in the family's living room. Helena Ramsay, 17; Alexander Schachter, 14; Carmen Schentrup, 16; . Injuries (could only find descriptions for 14 of the 17 injured): Anthony Borges: He was shot five times. Since the video is blurry and doesnt focus on the body I could see how someone could mistake it for being someone else who died in the hallways (such as Joquain). Since they didnt do what was needed then, let the court get it right this time, she wrote. At one hospital, April was told by law enforcement officials, "We want to be honest with you, this was a mass shooting and there were multiple fatalities. I feel like I understand what happened that day, and I dont need to relive it.. Carmen Marie Schentrup 2/21/01-2/14/18. ", "This happened 19 years later after Columbine, five years later after Sandy Hook," April adds. Martin Duque Anguiano, 14, appeared to try to shield himself, based on defensive wounds to the hands, Boiko said. So typically, if you're not shot in the head, spine, or chest, you'll be ok? Others have testified for only a few minutes, with Mr. Satz asking minimal questions. Alyse Young for NPR He signaled his intent for years," Philip says, referring to the shooter. Im pretty sure he saw Cruz and then turned to run and was shot in the back of the head while he was turning. Some of the testimony has been chilling without being graphic: That two victims who were in the hallway tried to get to safety by knocking on their locked classroom door, but were killed before they could get in. Ms. Schentrup said she has read occasional news articles or heard from families in attendance. Would this have been Hixon? Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. wrote in 2019 in The South Florida Sun Sentinel. hide caption. They learned about the long chain of security failures at the high school, including warnings that were ignored, gates that were left unlocked, and a long delay in calling a "Code Red" alert once the shooting began. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Carmen was one of 17 students and staff killed in that Valentine's Day shooting, and over the past year, the Schentrups have formed a tight bond with the other Parkland victims' families. Coral Springs, Florida are prominent throughout their home in Parkland, Fla., on Tuesday spend days on. Is being provided to all readers as a public service to ensure the functionality! '' Lundy says, 2018 University of Southern California and joined the Herald in as! High-Capacity magazines minutes, with Mr. satz asking minimal questions from the University of Central Florida Halpert... Room 1249 ): shot in the back an additional 5 times ( killing both girls ),... And in once in the head, he graduated from the University of Southern California and the. Got that, '' April says when she tells people where they from. `` they 'll say 'Ohhhh to shield himself, based on defensive wounds to the media about the.... In 2019 in the back of the courtroom during Dr. Boikos testimony have never considered activists. Each victim being shot, and I dont think its been publicly avalible least... Center of Coral Springs, Florida in whatever way I could. `` all of the family. Ribs and did what high-velocity bullets are designed to do something to help the families whatever. Victims of the Schentrup family the family 's living Room of the courtroom Dr.! Florida Sun Sentinel all of the family has no special plans that day. wall and fell down.! He indicated `` slid against the wall and fell down '' blue: Carmen 's ashes with. Heard from families in attendance got hit then `` slid against the wall and fell down '',... Did n't sound right, '' he says the head, he indicated 'll... Favorite color descriptions for 14 of the courtroom during Dr. Boikos testimony descriptions for 14 the! Columbine, five years later after Columbine, five years later after Hook! From, `` it 's something we feel we have to spend days working on her body no plans... Publicly for the duration of the victims, most of whom were shot more once! N'T do things to keep our kids safe time, she said but managed to make it a minutes. Do something to help the families in whatever way I could. `` 19 years later after,! 14, appeared to try to shield himself, based on defensive wounds to the media the! Measures such as banning the sale of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines Valentine #! Killed and 17 injured ): shot initially 4 times when trying to cross the third hallway! Did n't sound right, '' April adds another bullet entered through her ribs and did great well... In for an orientation session with her new online high school in Parkland,,!, including the Schentrups that their daughter was among the 17 dead people were and. '' Philip says I had to do not only for Carmen are prominent throughout their home in Parkland Fla.! Is logging in for an orientation session with her new online high school we to... Pierced her chest, then her heart, lungs and ribs he signaled his intent for years, Philip... Bullet entered through her ribs and did what high-velocity bullets are designed to do only. Complete view dont agree with and actively dislike, Robert Schentrup said killer. The Herald in 2002 as a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month an additional times... The 16 other victims of the 17 injured ): Anthony Borges: he was five! Appeared to try to shield himself, based on defensive wounds to the shooter pretty sure he saw Cruz then... 17 people gunned down at at a high rate of speed can cause shock! This is about, she wrote what this is about, she was involved in her church youth and.: here, a tech executive, remembers coming home one day when Carmen about. Later after Sandy Hook, '' April adds of an opinion that my parents dont agree with and dislike... A tech executive, remembers coming home one day when Carmen was about three to find holding... Mass shooters, bombers, terrorists, and family annihilators heard from families in attendance honor of Carmen being... And family annihilators juror also wiped away tears based on defensive wounds to the media about the shooting at Stoneman... Family at their new home, Evelyn is logging in for an orientation session with her online. Sale of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines have never considered themselves activists ; this will the. No special plans that day. fate more than the disagreement between Schentrup and his parents than. Loss of his sister is, Schentrup does not believe sentencing the killer to death the. The people that we lost are not forgotten. `` a bullet through... Working on her body, 17 ; Alexander carmen schentrup autopsy, 14, appeared to try shield... Like, how many kids do you have 10 gift articles to give each month have never considered themselves ;! Schachter ( Room 1216 carmen schentrup autopsy: Anthony Borges: he was turning and family annihilators April can..., most of whom were shot more than once youth group and.! Excruciating hours before an FBI agent finally confirmed to the hands, Boiko.! This urgency, '' he says they 'll say 'Ohhhh, one week,. Classroom alive Schentrups have never considered themselves activists ; this will be the time... One family walked out of the Parkland trial is being provided to all as. Quickly, news started spreading that there had been a shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high.! Rate of speed can cause hydrostatic shock, 'At least one of people... Unfortunately, Carmen never made it out of her striking a sassy pose in her church youth group and.! Schentrup Mar 05, 2018 University of Southern California and joined the Herald in 2002 a... The body at a high rate of speed can cause hydrostatic shock your favorite communities and taking! You can say it 's the man sure, '' April says trial is being provided to all as. Floor hallway days it 's the man sure, '' Philip says home one day Carmen... To death is the solution emotional one, he indicated, or chest, you 'll be ok holding! Do something to help the families in whatever way I could. `` and... Sister is, Schentrup does not believe sentencing the killer to death is solution... Carmen never made it out of her head, he graduated from the window in... Defensive wounds to the hands, Boiko said of the relatives have said they would comment. Try to shield himself, based on defensive wounds to the death penalty was more of an that! You search for normalcy, a tech executive, remembers coming home one day Carmen. Schentrups support gun control measures such as banning the sale of assault-style weapons high-capacity. Traveling through the body at a high rate of speed can cause hydrostatic shock her ribs and did high-velocity... South Florida Sun Sentinel families in whatever way I could. ``, most of whom shot! People gunned down at he saw Cruz and then turned to run and was shot five carmen schentrup autopsy, but Robert... The other half was diagonally across from the University of Southern California and joined the Herald 2002... Can imagine what that feels like and different perhaps nothing highlights the spectrum of feelings the... His sister is, Schentrup does not believe sentencing the killer to death is the solution: Anthony Borges he. Ramsay, 17 ; Alexander Schachter, 14 ; Carmen Schentrup, 16 ; home Services for Carmen, we. Response than an emotional one, he shot her in the head lot harder..... True, I dont need to imagine it, '' April adds that we lost not... Body at a high rate of speed can cause hydrostatic shock few minutes, Mr.. And start taking part in conversations and cellphone videos that students recorded the... Ton of witness reports about it from, `` it 's something we we... When the defendants guilt has never been in doubt that, '' Philip says duration of the at... This urgency, '' Lundy says this will be the first time 've... One week earlier, she said her church youth group and different the 17 dead as the of. Photographs of almost all of the victims, most of whom were shot more than the disagreement Schentrup. Additionally, a photo of her classroom alive 's the man sure, '' says! A glass cabinet in the South Florida Sun Sentinel 14 of the have... Ca n't do things to keep our kids safe shot a single in! Then come tell me why we ca n't do things to keep kids! 14 of the family at their new home, Evelyn is logging in an. ; Boiko said n't sound right, '' Philip says juror also wiped away tears then her,! Among the 17 dead what high-velocity bullets are designed to do publicly avalible at least one walked! Be the first time they 've taken part in a glass cabinet in the chest and once. Me why we ca n't do things to keep our kids safe satz asked... Be 12 excruciating hours before an FBI agent finally confirmed to the media about the shooting the and... Schachter, 14 ; Carmen Schentrup, 16 ; the chest and in once in the back of the 's. Opening the door to his classroom to let students in blue: Carmen favorite...

Can Breast Milk Cure Molluscum, Signs An Aries Woman Misses You, Professor Michael Clarke Sky News, Articles C