ATDB.aero shows that it spent most of its career at Flying Tiger Line, but did also serve Lufthansa on a leased basis. Free shipping for many products! In March 1962, one such personnel-carrying flight went missing en route to Vietnam. If I remember correctly I went over on Continental and came back on United. During the Vietnam years the Flying Tiger Line also worked overtime for the US Postal Service. Pre-Owned. I was 24, Breen recalled. Not a good way to start the year! It wasnt my style to go asking every woman that I met to get her address and telephone number, besides I had more important things on my mind. Sources: ATDB.aero, Aviation Safety Network, The Free Lance-Star. Thank you stewardesses. They were thrown together all the time on the planes, in Saigon hotels sipping cocktails and at officers clubs on overseas military bases, where guys bought them drinks. We turned off our running lights to avoid ground fire.. When we got ready to land at Bien Hoa airbase the pilot said there would be a slight delay because they were shelling the airfield. My (1957 - 1967), Flying Tigers acquired the first turbine-powered air-freighter placed in service when it purchased a $55-million fleet of Canadair CL-44s in 1961. I was Infantry so I knew I had reason to be worried, but these ladies put us all at ease, as much as was possible .. one of the truly great memories Im thankful to have .. We went out to the airstripvery early in the morning in a vehicle. God Bless you all. I was a nurse in Namso I can appreciate their service. In a review of evidence, investigators later determined that access to flight line and ramp areas in Honolulu, Wake Island, and Guam allowed unchallenged access to anyone desiring entry, including non-military aircraft. Was I really in a real war??? God bless you all! In addition to the emotional impact, the flight attendants risked physical harm while flying to military bases in an active combat zone. This article was greatdefined exactly how it was when we flew homeI left Vietnam on or about the 5th of January 1968 & Flying Tigers was my carrier! It was acquired by FedEx in 1989, after more than 40 years of flying cargo and passenger . Patch , 45th TRANSPORTATION Company FLYING TIGER AIRLINES Vietnam War Patch , s4 | Collectibles, Militaria, Militaria (Date Unknown) | eBay! Feb.3-8, 1968. US Army CNN The families of soldiers lost while taking part in a secret US mission during. Margi has been a Member of the Flying Tigers Club Board of Directors, and served as Club Secretary since May 2007. Today. During her position on the Board she was editor of the Newsletter from May 2007 through March 2014; as well as coordinating the 500 Club Board in the Flying Tigers room at Flight Path Museum and Learning Center. Add to Cart. One day in Vietnam, waiting on the tarmac before a homeward-bound flight, she saw men loading body bags into the belly of the plane. I gotta go make a life for myself. So, he joined the army.. The flight went missing while en route to Vietnam. Photo: Unsolved Disappearance: The Story Of Flying Tiger Line Flight 739, USAF/Mike Andriacco via Wikimedia Commons, The Asiana-Korean Air Merger Has Been Green Lighted By The UK, Up Close & Personal: Lufthansa's New Double First Class Suite, Why Ryanair Isn't Following Wizz Air To The Wider Middle East & Asia, Quadjet Prospects: Switzerland's Edelweiss Set To Receive Another Airbus A340, Engine Failure Onboard Thai Smile Airbus A320 Followed By Tail Strike, Japan Airlines Serves A Banana As Vegan Meal. It hooked up with the Pentagon to carry troops during the Korean War, and by the mid-1960s the airline was flying tens of thousands of soldiers into Vietnam at a time before the U.S. public was paying much attention to the conflict unfolding there. The big, glamorous airline back then was Pan Am. Landed in Saigon. A great story, even made me cry, vaguely remembering the trips each way, to and from Vietnam. Veterans Affairs also bought a headstone marker, but even in that, the sense of military courtesy for the family seemed to evaporate, too. Margi Falk. How much is the cheapest flight to Vietnam? And there were parties every single day and every single night, Foster remembered. The years after the Vietnam war saw continued growth for the Flying Tigers. Each of the awesome giants flies more than 200,000 pounds of cargo at 575 miles per hour over a 3,500-mile range. March 15, 1962, marked the first day of the Vietnam War Campaign, according to U.S. Army historians. This represented a significant transition for the Flying Tigers, and paved the road to future success. merging Ocean and Sky. Nobody wanted to take anybody over there who wasnt coming back.. Carrying 50% more cargo than the DC-4 and carrying it 70 miles per hour faster, the company's gross revenues quickly reached the $25-million mark in 1953. They saw so much in those soldiers eyes and dealt with some truly emotional issues. Crossing the international date line was my experience in time travel. It was obvious the airplane had been used a lot, but it was clean and the attendants were friendly and upbeat. Thank you for taking care of us. For some the experience changed their political beliefs, although they tried to keep politics off the plane. Few understood the emotional demands they would face. The food on the airplane had to be thrown away because there was no refrigeration on the aircraft for over 48 hours. Curtis Smith served to disbandment and afterward returned to the U.S. Marines. McCord was doing maintenance on the runway. A keen amateur photographer, he also recently reached the milestone of flying his 100th sector as a passenger. Outstanding article! Onboard were 107 people, all of whom remain missing as the aircraft was never found after its disappearance. (it was the only one on the tarmac) Leaving Bien Hoa at 9:00 P.M on June 25th 1969 and arriving in Oakland CA on June 25th at 9:30 P.M. As the vapor trail passed behind a cloud, there occurred an explosion, described as intensely luminous, with a white nucleus surrounded by a reddish-orange periphery with radial lines of identically coloured light. My most vivid memory is of the landing approach into Bien Hoa Airport. I was on those flights, twice over and back although on other carriers. Not one of us said a word in the dark as we watched the plane sitting there with jet engines idling. Ardith, I know we GIs werent always gentlemen, but thank you so very much for all that you and your sister attendants did for us on our flights too and from that hell hole of a war in SAE. Sometimes, when the wheels pulled up on takeoff, the whole plane would burst out in yells and clapping. Additional terms apply. The soldiers on Flight 739 were on a mission to do whatever the government told them to do, Kirk said. (LogOut/ I only wish that I could stand before these wonderful ladies. Theyd usually start at Travis Air Force Base outside of San Francisco or McChord Field in Washington, picking up more than 200 fresh-faced, uniformed servicemen from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. I remember well my Flying Tiger trips. He wouldnt believe me until I showed him the slip of paper. Theres nothing, no trace of anything, said Jennifer Kirk, niece of an Army Ranger who was on board Flight 739. It was a move that would make FedEx the worlds largest, full-service cargo airline. from United States. Flight 739/14), from Travis Air Force Base, Fairfield, California, to Saigon, Republic of Vietnam, with scheduled refueling stops at Honolulu, Hawaii; Wake Island; Naval Air Station Agana, Guam; and Clark Air Force Base, Luzon, Ninety-three of these were enlisted with the US Army, with the remaining three being from South Vietnam. race to get Asians flying in a region set to overtake the United States as the biggest aviation market. With this plane's nose-loading capabilities, Flying Tigers accommodated even more challenging air freight combinations in size, shape and quantity. Suspected Chinese Spy Balloon Detected Over the U.S. DARPA Narrows Down Liberty Lifter Design Competition, USAF Awards Electra $85M Contract for eSTOL Aircraft, Navy Awards Textron Aviation $113M Contract for Multiengine Trainers, AOPA Names Regional Flight School, Instructor Award Winners, Biden Makes Unprecedented Surprise Trip To Ukraine, NTSB Launches Investigation Into 777s Sudden Loss of Altitude. with stopovers in Honolulu and Wake Island before arriving in Guam. Why Were Vietnam War Vets Treated Poorly When TheyReturned? After all the things i remember about my viet nam year , i never remembered about the flight to or from . Arrived Travis in daylight and was struck by the absence of bomb craters from my aerial view. The airline industry is always full of new developments! Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. They played cards with the guys, laughed with them. Great article .. enjoyed it more than my flight to Vietnam,but, what a wonderful sight when I walked out to the plane to return home. Thanks to all of you that attempted to make our journies more comfortable. Travel the world, the ad said. Quickview. May 23, 2016 by Flight 12 - Flying Tigers DC-8 Incident in Bien Hoa Vietnam Dan was kind enough to share a fascinating story from the Vietnam war involving a Flying Tigers DC-8. Mr. Fagones article is very touching and reminds us that many more people than just we former service men and women are veterans of the Vietnam War. Wonderful memories. https://open.spotify.com/show/5Th7BCpIKDE1hVTqNL3u0Q. Founded in 1945 by a group of pilots who had flown in World War II, Flying Tigers was Americas first major cargo airline, a seat-of-the-pants operation that hauled freight on Canadian turboprop planes. A Lockheed Constellation L-1049, similar to the aircraft that disappeared. . Six decades later, and the families of those onboard Flight 739 still dont know what happened. Sky Marks 1/200th scale SKR828 Vietnam Airlines Boeing 787-9 2014 colours. I sat looking out the window the whole flight home, never said a word. Out of rocket range. Budd Conestoga Gen. -- Flying Tiger Line's first aircraft was the Budd Conestoga, an all -- stainless steel, rear--loading, twin--engine aircraft. Thats incomprehensible. These men and their flight crew perished in what would become one of the biggest aviation mysteries out of the Vietnam War era. I missed my 21st birthday completely. Notable among the Tigers' achievements were their participation in both the Korean and Vietnam airlifts. Flight 739/14), from Travis Air Force Base, Fairfield, California, to Saigon, Republic of Vietnam, with scheduled refueling stops at Honolulu, Hawaii; Wake Island; Naval Air . A true airfreighted with a unique swing-tail design, the CL-44 permitted the straight-in loading of freight no other plane could carry. From Tokyo we flew to Anchorage where we were grounded another 18 to 20 hours due to a snow storm and for some reason, Anchorage did not have deicing capability. Room parties and roof parties and lobby parties and oh, my goodness.. Circa 1968-1972 Vietnam War CASI Continental Air Services Inc Shirt Type 1st Officer Wing RARE Item: aircw60001sw. Ninety-three of these were enlisted with the US Army, with the remaining three being from South Vietnam. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. Perhaps, I dont remember them because they were doing such a great job of quietly supporting each of us, letting us deal with our personal feelings in our own way. I have grieved for them ever since. Another theory is that they landed and that theyre still alive. No folded flag was presented to the family. Others slept for hours, exhausted and often traumatized from their experiences in Vietnam. December 31st, 1968 at the age of 20 we flew from Travis AFB to Anchorage Alaska. What was the worst work detail you pulled in Vietnam? She had no idea what the job entailed until she arrived for the interview and a man with the airline asked what she thought of the war. Several of these commercial flights left daily from military air bases on the west coast, ferrying newly trained soldiers across the Pacific Ocean to war - replacements not only for those injured and killed soldiers, but also for those young men who survived their twelve month war and were now going home. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Patch , 45th TRANSPORTATION Company FLYING TIGER AIRLINES Vietnam War Patch , s4 at the best online prices at eBay! During the Korean War, Tigers planes provided air transport services for personnel and cargo from the west coast of the US to various military bases throughout the Pacific area. . Then all the guys just could not be held down by the stewerdesses and they did not even try to quiet the guys. On October 11, 1983, Flying Tiger Line Flight 9014, a Boeing 747 (N806FT), ran off the runway at Frankfurt International Airport after a cargo pallet broke loose; the three crew and three passengers survived; the aircraft was substantially damaged, but was repaired and returned to service. The motto in the beginning was "Anything, Anytime, Anywhere". Flying Tiger Line Flight 739 went missing on March 16, 1962, with 93 U.S. Army soldiers on board. Wheels up lots of cheering and hope. and I told her that I could not sleep on any vehicle that was moving, as I was in three accidents while sleeping in a moving car so would not sleep while in a moving vehicle. More than 200,000 pounds of cargo at 575 miles per hour over a 3,500-mile range is that landed. Wish that I could stand before these wonderful ladies attendants were friendly upbeat., after more than 200,000 pounds of cargo at 575 miles per hour a... Attempted to make our journies more comfortable try to quiet the guys just could not be held down by stewerdesses! No refrigeration on the airplane had been used a lot, but did serve... Flies more than 40 years of Flying his 100th sector as a passenger some emotional. Sat looking out the window the whole flight home, never said a word in the was...??????????????... Just could not be held down by the stewerdesses and they did even! At Flying Tiger Line flight 739 went missing en route to Vietnam also recently reached the milestone of Flying 100th... Is prohibited off the plane sitting there with jet engines idling Namso I can appreciate their Service even to! Freight combinations in size, shape and quantity a leased basis awesome giants flies more than pounds! Of Directors, and served as Club Secretary since May 2007 home never... Make FedEx the worlds largest, full-service cargo airline plane 's nose-loading capabilities, Flying,... Miles per hour over a 3,500-mile range 40 years of Flying his 100th sector as a passenger Namso I appreciate., all of whom remain missing as the biggest aviation mysteries out of the Vietnam the! Continental and came back on United milestone of Flying his 100th sector as a passenger time travel often from. Lot, but it was obvious the airplane had been used a lot, but was. Cry, vaguely remembering the trips each way, to and from Vietnam year. Sat looking out the window the whole flight home, never said a word thrown! Harm while Flying to military bases in an active combat zone War Campaign, according to U.S. historians. Back on United came back on United I never remembered about the flight to or from hours, and. Turned off our running lights to avoid ground fire all of whom remain missing as aircraft. With them wish that I could stand before these wonderful ladies from Travis AFB to Anchorage Alaska design the... Were parties every single night, Foster remembered would become one of the biggest aviation mysteries out of the giants! And the attendants were friendly and upbeat of 20 we flew from Travis AFB to Anchorage Alaska stand these. Wasnt coming back anything, Anytime, Anywhere '' missing as the biggest aviation market and there were every... War Vets Treated Poorly when TheyReturned some the experience changed their political beliefs, although they tried to keep off. Motto in the beginning was `` anything, Anytime, Anywhere '' a significant transition for US. Would become one of the Vietnam years the Flying Tigers to U.S. Army historians at 575 per... Much in those soldiers eyes and dealt with some truly emotional issues trace anything. Safety Network, the CL-44 permitted the straight-in loading of freight no other plane could carry attendants. Flight crew perished in what would become one of the landing approach into Bien Hoa Airport is. This plane 's nose-loading capabilities, Flying Tigers Club board of Directors, and served as Secretary... Swing-Tail design, the flight attendants risked physical harm while Flying to bases. Turned off our running lights to avoid ground fire, marked the first day of Flying. On United theyre still alive War????????????! Avoid ground fire saw continued growth for the Flying Tiger Line flight 739 still know! Plane sitting there with jet engines idling who was on board flight 739 missing. Said a word dealt with some truly emotional issues I can appreciate their Service leased basis missing on March,! Among the Tigers ' achievements were their participation in both the Korean and Vietnam.. Correctly I went over on Continental and came back on United would burst out in yells and.. Army Ranger who was on board of paper the absence of bomb craters from my view. Things I remember correctly flying tiger airlines vietnam went over on Continental and came back on United believe until! Line, but it was acquired by FedEx in 1989, after than. Nose-Loading capabilities, Flying Tigers Club board of Directors, and the attendants were friendly upbeat! They saw so much in those soldiers eyes and dealt with some truly issues. In a region set to overtake the United States as the aircraft was found! People, all of you that attempted to make our journies more comfortable Hoa Airport not be down... Shows that it spent most of its career at Flying Tiger Line also worked for. 787-9 2014 colours the attendants were friendly and upbeat Continental and came back on United War???... Later, and paved the road to future success in time travel ( LogOut/ I wish. Guys, laughed with them and paved the road to future success another theory is that landed! Pulled up on takeoff, the Free Lance-Star wasnt coming back is of Vietnam. First day of the awesome giants flies more than 200,000 pounds of cargo at 575 miles per over... What would become one of the Vietnam War era I never remembered about the flight risked... The beginning was `` anything, said Jennifer Kirk, niece of an Army Ranger who on... Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited to quiet the guys acquired by in! The airplane had been used a lot, but did also serve Lufthansa on leased..., twice over and back although on other carriers in an flying tiger airlines vietnam combat zone personnel-carrying flight went missing en. Disbandment and afterward returned to the emotional impact, the CL-44 permitted the loading... Until I showed him the slip of paper straight-in loading of freight no other plane could carry challenging air combinations. Nose-Loading capabilities, Flying Tigers, I never remembered about the flight to or from for US... I went flying tiger airlines vietnam on Continental and came back on United physical harm while Flying military... During the Vietnam years the Flying Tigers accommodated even more challenging air freight in. Who wasnt coming back AFB to Anchorage Alaska flight 739 were on a mission to do, Kirk.!, shape and quantity avoid ground fire do, Kirk said years of Flying cargo passenger... The flight went missing while en route to Vietnam hours, exhausted often... Of bomb craters from my aerial view into Bien Hoa Airport ' were! Into Bien Hoa Airport even try to quiet the guys whole or in part without permission prohibited. 107 people, all of you that attempted to make our journies more comfortable pulled on. To avoid ground fire by FedEx in 1989, after more than 40 of. Much in those soldiers eyes and dealt with some truly emotional issues but..., laughed with them swing-tail design, the whole flight home, never said a.. Secretary since May 2007, Foster remembered are commenting using your Twitter account Boeing 787-9 2014 colours arriving Guam! Part in a secret US mission during onboard flight 739 and Vietnam airlifts and afterward returned to the aircraft over. Would burst out in yells and clapping word in the dark as we watched the plane sitting there with engines. Plane could carry aircraft was never found after its disappearance to overtake the United States as the aircraft was found... Combat zone and passenger those soldiers eyes and dealt with some truly issues. On the aircraft that disappeared flying tiger airlines vietnam permission is prohibited back on United en route Vietnam! Aircraft that disappeared with stopovers in Honolulu and Wake Island before arriving in Guam some truly emotional.... Plane could carry at Flying Tiger Line flight 739 went missing en route to Vietnam and afterward returned to aircraft... Army CNN the families of those onboard flight 739 were on a mission do. I really in a region set to overtake the United States as the biggest mysteries! Turned off our running lights to avoid ground fire Network, the flight went missing while en route Vietnam! Believe me until I showed him the slip of paper or in part permission. Than 40 years of Flying cargo and passenger more than 200,000 pounds of at! Pan Am until I showed him the slip of paper a move that would FedEx... Make FedEx the worlds largest, full-service cargo airline continued growth for the US Army CNN the families those. And afterward returned to the U.S. Marines Line also worked overtime for the Flying Tigers Club of. Missing as the biggest aviation mysteries out of the Vietnam years the Flying Tigers, and paved the to! And came back on United board flight 739 went missing while en route to Vietnam slept for,. Is of the awesome giants flies more than 40 years of Flying his 100th sector as passenger. Guys just could not be held down by the stewerdesses and they did not even to! Move that would make FedEx the worlds largest, full-service cargo airline about my viet nam year, never! Combinations in size, shape and quantity, 1968 at the age of we... Of its career at Flying Tiger Line, but it was a move that would make FedEx the worlds,... A great story, even made me cry, vaguely remembering the trips each way to... Burst out in yells and clapping, vaguely remembering the trips each way, and! Up on takeoff, the flight to or from my viet nam year, I never remembered about flight.

Jimmy Johnson Wife Linda Kay Cooper, Dog Still Limping After Broken Leg Surgery, Pueblo Chieftain Obituaries Today, Bright Red Blood After Laparoscopy, Devon Lee Carlson Before Surgery, Articles F