joined a cold Feb 65 Duncan 12.. still remember thinking what old salts the junior leaders were compared to us new boys ,(all of 16) but what power,I can still hear them bellowing out Eft (left) Iht (right) . I really only started to enjoy life when actually in the Fleet Air Arm. Ganges could have been up-to-date easily, but the Brit class system got its anchor fouled up well. I reckon that I received my secondary education at Shotley, I joined Ganges 2 Sep 58 (Benbow 251 Tactical Operators). 1968 - Dave Coffin. A real shame to see the site in such a bad state, especially knowing how it used to be 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. $7.20 + $14.89 shipping. 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. Grand Father served in Ganges as the Master at Arms. As you are about to see, 1954 went down in HMS Ganges history as a year without precedent throughout the period 1906 to 1976, namely its entire history - in short, more boys ran away from HMS Ganges in 1954 than at any other time and transcended the numbers returned by HMS St Vincent by a huge margin. 1969 - RO Alan Ingham. Only when I wrote home did I learn that he was in Grenville 22 as well. var day=mydate.getDay() I have a great picture of me presenting flowers to the Captains wife, Mrs Ash during some boating escapade on the river. #spacer {clear:both; text-align:center; border:0px solid #bbb; color: blue; 1967 - HMS London. On January 1, 1947 the British coal industry was nationalised and on March 15, 1947 the worst ever floods in England were recorded. There was a lightning conductor on top to grip with ones knees. A great site, yes were all pretty sad to see it like that but you can never take away memories, I was there 1963/64, 59 recrutment as a baby stoker 28/29 mess Benbow division. Time to learn some nautical signals. 1969 - RO Alan Ingham. All the pics bring back memories. Those were the days, carefree and know responsibilities, thanks for bringing back the memories. 1966 - SGS Christchurch. i jioned hms st vincent as boy 380 entry january 1961 my mate jioned hms ganges on the same day his name was john wileman from west yorkshire after doing 12yrs he emigrated to australia where sadly he passed away 14yrs ago we had many happy times talking about our time as nozzers great days wish we could relive it, joined ganges 12 sept 1966 77 recruitment duncan 11 mess instructors cpo bowen and po snoxell wow what a state its in now spent hours polishing the mess deck with a shoe brush now its all in the skip! If you would like to know how we use our cookies or how you can block cookies in your browser please click on our cookie policy. The first HMS Ganges was a 74-gun ship, originally named Bengal, built by the East India Company, informally known as John Company, on the Thames and presented to the British Government in 1779. HMS Ganges was the shore training establishment for boy entrants. dailyinfo[31]=' 420628 Sapper William Bayne YOUNG 63rd Field Coy. dailyinfo[17]=' Second Lieutenant George Ernest VINCENT Distinguished Conduct Medal 9th Bn. Was at Ganges 1960-61 Blake Div. 1969 - Lt Ash (aged 95). Ganges in 1906. Nigel, I joined 28 days before you. Part of her duties whilst in the Pacific was to survey Salt Spring Island where the principal town is still called Ganges. By creating an account you agree to us emailing you with newsletters and discounts, which you can switch off in your account at any time. Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) who died 14/02/1916 YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Belgium ' Your email address will not be published. One of the tasks they had to do was climb the fearsome 150ft mast, with no safety nets or harnesses.The naval base is long gone but the mast is still there. Find Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok profiles, images and more on IDCrawl - free people search website. So sad to see it derelict but I guess the history still very much remains. I cant imagine what it would be like at the top of it. included in this entry. FOR SALE! I joined Ganges in 1962. This was by no means the first ship . h6 {font-family: calibri; font-size: 17px; text-align:center; color: #000000;} 1968 - Joyce Hardy. Great days. 1967 . 1966 - HMS Victorious Cricket Team. 92 Rec. Sign up for an eHive account to start cataloguing and sharing your collection online. It was not the best place in the world to be as a 15 year old but my God it made men out I think I would want considerably more than that. dailyinfo[10]=' Second Lieutenant Spencer Noel HUMPHREYS Military Cross, Mentioned in Despatches 116th Bde. 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. kept quite a lot of the work done by us lads !. HMS Ganges 'He had the misfortune to be placed under the care of two particularly brutal and drunken instructors whose continual bullying and abuse proved too much for this emerging free spirit ' His early life was hard by any standards. 4th Bn. They were brilliant to us and always very fair. During the 1840s there were a number of engagements in the eastern Mediterranean whilst blockading the Syrian coast. dailyinfo[22]=' 25368 Quartermaster Serjeant Leonard Henry CADE Meritorious Service Medal 12th Coy. 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. HMS Ganges is situated on the Shotley Peninsula in Suffolk. Photographs of various ceremonial aspects of HMS Ganges, Ladder Display Ancestry Windows History Photograph of the Window Ladder Display at HMS Ganges; photographer : Fisk, R A, Mr; SHHMG:A1258 It was over near Faith, Hope & Charity. (Moseley) A long suffering Birmingham City follower, A Life Long{So Far} Interest,Collection & Research Of All Campaign,Gallantry & Service Medals;Particularly those Awarded to Men who served with the 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF;1908 ~ 1939 & Antecedents[3rdVB Suffolk R.]/1st & 2nd Bns TA[1939~46]Medals Trios & Groups To The 6th Service Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment,& For Variety Unusual Groups to the Royal Regiment of Artillery & Army Service Corps{RASC}, Luxembourg history, walking, battlefield guiding, Upcoming changes to logging in - click here, GWF is free to use so please support the Forum. Review of HMS Ganges Museum Reviewed 27 August 2018 Below are just some of our members who have served at HMS Ganges. 1968 HMS Nubian Commissioning Parade with Vin 'Shiner' Wright. His service register is available online, does it mention his cause of death? I have a grave in Lambourne Churchyard to A A A Adams Boy 2nd Class J/96948 who died 23.7.1020. naval diehards clung on to ganges wrongly. JavaScript is disabled. 27 Feb 2023 - I was devastated to learn that my old friend Mick Kester crossed the bar last Friday 24 February, apparently after suffering a heart attack.. Mick served in the Royal Navy for a total of 24 years, having joined in February 1958 as a Junior Seaman at HMS GANGES in Suffolk. 1966 - Les Parsons. 1968 - HMS Albion Comms Staff. 1968 - Ready for Rounds. See photo for condition This is a original Late 1990's Full Length 304817895258 aside {width: 220px;padding-left: .5rem;margin-left: .5rem;float: left; text-align:center;} When entering your 'ships served on' do not use full stops, commas or anything else just start a new line after each ship. The first HMS Ganges was a 74-gun ship, originally named Bengal, built by the East India Company, informally known as John Company, on the Thames and presented to the British Government in 1779. That is damn high. Well Brian there has been a lot of water under the bridge since our Ganges days,but if I could do it all again I would,take care pal. dailyinfo[26]=' Chaplain 4th Class The Rev. 1966 - Graham Lloyd. In Bootle I was starting my first year at the These photos show the current state of the Ganges. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Picture 1 of 2. Collingwood 36 mess at the top of Benbow Lane. Is he listed in the CWGC Roll or does he just have a CWGC style Headstone?? Joined Ganges Jan 1951 from St.Vincent to be a Signal Boy. KNOWN AS PADDY MAWHINNEY. Confirmation (June/July 1967) 45: HMS GANGES PARENTS DAY (July 1967) 45: JRO2 Ray (Taff) Hurley (1967) 46: Assembly of officers (Between October 1967 and October 1968) 46: Open Day 1968: 47: A days Sea Training on HMS Tenby - 1966 . 1967 - HMS Forth Comms Mess. All in all Im glad that I did it and proud to call myself an ex- TROG, Terry Wogan eat your heart out, youve no idea mate. comms class 247-248 in the same mess. dailyinfo[1]=' Staff Nurse Edith Mary CAMMACK Associate of the Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class 4th Southern Gen. Hos. fell off the button :? Good fun. HMS Ganges was an 84-gun second-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 10 November 1821 at Bombay Dockyard, [1] constructed from teak. Great memories and sad to see it now. Family ww1 research. If interested in obtaining a copy of the PDF version please PM me with your email address. dailyinfo[8]=' Ersatz-Reservist August KOOP 5./I.R.425 German Army who died 08/02/1919 ADINKERKE MILITARY CEMETERY Belgium ' The eHive Account Holder is responsible for the content on this page. dailyinfo[12]=' Captain Glanvill Richard CATTARNS Military Cross, Mentioned in Despatches 6th Bn. It certainly transformed us from little boys into men. !.173 joined and when we left 11 months later there was 62 remaining.l work in the Prison Service now and 2 years ago l met one of my old Leading Juniors serving 5 years ,it was so good to meet up again!!!! I think at one stage you could go to Gnges from 12 years old (not certain about this). We can reunite you with your friends who served at HMS Ganges and we have a wealth of information on different units, bases and ships in the site. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. She was made of teak and launched from the Bombay Dockyard in November 1821. Went back again in 1976 just after the flag was lowered for the last time, place still intact at that point, gates locked with security staff on duty. 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. dailyinfo[29]=' Oberleutnant zur See Axel Carl Ludwig VON SCHOENERMARCK S.M.S. Did 14 weeks of basic Police Training and loved every minute, probably why im still in job 21 years later Like lots of others, dreaded the pool!! (Salonika) Territorial Force Nursing Service who died 01/03/1918 KNOWLE (SS. The "Ganges" 1901; about to become the Boys' Training-ship at Harwich. !,turned out l had dislocated my kneecap! 1967 - John Jones. Still scary though. HMS Ganges Museum Name/Title Photographs of various aspects of HMS Ganges About this object Photographs of various ceremonial aspects of HMS Ganges, including mast manning, in a Pictorial Tribute leaflet from Bernards of Harwich who were Naval tailors. Was a backward fish and hated my time in the very cold swimming pool to gain my QS. He was a member of a Commonwealth armed force who died between the qualifying dates of 04.08.14 to 31.08.21 whilst in service. HMS ABDIEL ROYAL Navy Cap Tally Tallie Cap Band H.M.S. I left to join HMS Protector where I served my next two years and becme an adult 18 years old. Browse 30 hms ganges stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. Contact the Account Holder about copyright permissions (including ordering copies of content) or issues with the publication of the information or images on eHive. It was at Shotley in Essex, opposite Harwich. I intend to visit the museum the next time I am in Suffolk. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for British MT Beckenham& HMS Woodlark in pool of london 1984 ship photo at the best online prices at eBay! 1967 - Margaret Taylor. I have no idea what my entry or class number was & is not recorded on my docs. h4 {font-family: calibri; font-size: 17px; text-align:left; color: #000000;} As for the mast, well I did make it to the half moon but wouldnt push my luck.. 1967 - Ron Stickles. 1967 - David Axford. My late brother left a scribbled note referring to the death of his naval father in March 1919 at a Shotley Hospital following an incident in connection with HMS Coventry when several men were badly injured. Royal Engineers who died 31/01/1919 COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY Germany ' aside1 {width: 220px;padding-left: .5rem;margin-left: .5rem;float: right;text-align:center;} Brian Hanney. 1967 - HMS Hermes, Daniel Costello. dailyinfo[20]=' 11634 Labourer YANG FU CHING 11th Coy. When I left the RN I bought a converted MTB that had originally been HMS Ariel. Middlesex Regiment who died 17/02/1917 REGINA TRENCH CEMETERY, GRANDCOURT France ' I had been warned what to expect, my father was a Petty Officer who had joined the Royal Navy in 1942 and was still serving aboard HMS Hermes, the day I joined, I was 15 years and 10 weeks old exactly. Kings Royal Rifle Corps who died 02/03/1915 YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Belgium ' I thought he meant me &even after 2 sojourns in the sick bay with pneumonia(& thats another story) I did it @ still have my prize. Was there a naval hospital at or near HMS Ganges? 1968 Nubian Comms Branch 1968-70 That year over 1000 boys went down with Asian Flu. dailyinfo[23]=' 9656 Private Isaac COOPER "A" Coy. 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. 1967 - Margaret Taylor. I now live in France and still dont like swimming! FOR SALE! Sign up for a new account in our community. I was never so fit, but wernt we always so hungry, does any one remember cake sandwiches on a Sunday, You used to put a slab of cake between two slices of bread to make more of it and to help fill you up. Well said Colin, I too had similar experiences, Collingwood Mess March 1961. would not have changed it though and am proud to support the HMS Ganges Association where many of our old oppos can be found. She had her keel scraped and the Boys were transferred to either HMS Lion or HMS Impregnable.Fourteen days later she moved, partly under sail, and in the company of HMS Arrogant, to Sheerness. Brilliant guy. I will not waffle on, except to say who I remember, Gessler the RPO who used to lurk in the shadows, while you were going back and forth for scran,, but you could always see his stomach sticking out. 1967 - David Burwood. 1966 - Royal Navy in Singapore. Welcome to Forces Reunited the place where you can find information and friends from HMS Ganges. Ganges Museum is located at Shotley Gate near Ipswich, in what was the Enright Block, on the foreshore of the former H.M.S. So please check. U.S. 1966 - Commcen Lascaris Comms Staff. HomeIntro/HistoryIntroHistoryBuntingsSig LampsSemaphoreFlagsPennant NosMisc PhotosSparkersTransmittersReceiversRadio CallsignsEquipmentRefurbishmentSnippetsPortStarboardMidshipsCommunicationsHMS MercuryHMS GangesPhotos/Docs/BooksPhotographsCommunicatorPublicationsPersonalTeleprinter ArtTeleprinter ArtSearchIn Memory ContactLinks A researcher has suggested that as the photo appears to show the Fitzroy Stevedoring Company premises beyond the Brilliant, the location must be Woolloomooloo. I was in Grenville 22 mess and would have left with you guys in 1964 for Condor but became a J.I and went back to the Annex. 30 Recruitment. On 4th October 1905 the new Barracks The Royal Navy Training Establishment, Shotley was commissioned. h5 {font-family: calibri; font-size: 13px; text-align:left; color: #000000;} Hope you are keeping well, and I would love to walk through those gates with you again. Can't imagine that being allowed these days. I learned to swim wearing a boiler suit. Yes he is listed on the CWGC site and he has a CWGC headstone in Lambourne Churchyard. 1966 - HMS Sirius Communications Department dailyinfo[3]=' 45 Gunner HAZURA SINGH 31st Mountain Battery Indian Mountain Artillery who died 03/03/1920 TEHRAN MEMORIAL Iranm ' 1968 - Morse WRNS under training. The training was tough, brutal at times, yet many of those who came through remember HMS Ganges, at Shotley Gate, with a certain fondness. i was there 68/69,hard time but great fun ,i think i still hold the record for the most doubling round annexe parade ground and main parade ground as punishment,i remember paddy power and your full real name ,remember pinching buttered bread from messhall and toasting it at night with the mess iron, Ganges Blake 4 Mess 1959 I have been reading some of the above comments and can identify with a lot of them, one in particular mentions POGI Thompson who although a real Tartar I always thought his bark worse than his bite although a few of my mates might have disagreed but it was often a case of different strokes for different folks but one thing it gave you a good grounding for future life maybe after all these years I am looking through rose tinted specs but it made a lasting impression (no I never had cuts) I dont know how many are aware of the Ganges website but if you are interested it offers membership for ex-Ganges guys the opportunity to add your comments and maybe come across old mates. It's easy! All admin will read your Timeline, if no mention of Ganges or of time served in the Royal Navy will be refused entry. The cause of death and location of death is irrelevant in such circumstances. She remained in service at RNTE Shotley until October 1976. She was the last sailing ship of the Navy to serve as a flagship. I reached the dizzy heights of Leading Junior but the only perk I remember was being able to get to the front of the scran queue because of my white gaiters! I dont reminisce on Ganges at all. In July 2006 the Secretary of State intervened and rejected all plans! Citrus fruit and mangoes are the principal fruits under consideration. and 34th Coy. This building was a Signal School apparently, which was created to teach flag signalling and telecommunications. Can anyone tell me of his circumstances and where the |Ganges was at that time? Sorry all, should have said Suffolk, not Essex. 1967 - HMS Naiad Comms Dept. Joined ganges september 1964 (giant recruitment) Uit Wikikids < Gebruiker:Rots61 | StatistiekenGebruiker:Rots61 | Statistieken. You are using an out of date browser. Old Sweats 1.1k Location:Hampshire Interests:WW1, especially submariners; 20th century police. It is just a pity that Ganges could not have been transformed into a correction centre for some of todays youths,then I think we might have not much bad behaviour. Joined 30th Novenber 1971,31 Recruitment,Leander and then Anson.Remenber playing football and injuring my knee,went sickand was told by the Captain Surgeon that l was homesick! //-->, By face book me. Worcestershire Regiment who died 23/02/1915 LOKER CHURCHYARD Belgium ' R.C. Frank Harrison EDINGER Army Chaplains Department who died 26/02/1918 HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON United Kingdom ' Son serving at Faslane in S/Ms. 'flag captain' in a sentence. Its so sad to see how it is now. View Gallery. View Gallery.