Most of these names feature on the most common last names in U.S. lists, too. does it mean star island? Denmarks surnames are mostly patronymic. There are rarely sudden shifts in the lists compiled, generally then fluctuate steadily. Where does Mollerud fit in? What is the origin of the suffix zen?I assume it is some form of a patronymic name.son of Lenhart? Jacobsen(11,906)20. I know that Thore Kristoffersen Barkve was born 1864 in Strand, Norway and died 1931 in Cylinder, Iowa, USA. National- Rank: #10- Number of babies in 2021: 9,535. I was born in the UK, my eldest brothers nickname was mud, as our surname was often pronounced as miremaybe some truth in the swamp origin! Thanks for posting. Let's take a closer look at the most popular Norwegian names today Norwegian first names: Cool Norwegian names for boys With falling branches that reach close to the ground, the crown is dense and conical, and the bark is thin with gray-brown scales. My family is Husom. The a lot of people took the name Sunde from the Village of Sunde, a boating community SW of Norway. When he arrived in Minnesota, he changed his name to Reier Reierson. Incidentally my mothers family name is Howden changed through misspelling and centuries from Hovden. This list of 78 cool last names--plus their meanings!--might help you out. Perhaps you are expecting to see these same Hispanophone names that are common in North America in South America, too? Boxelder Maple trees grow along streams and in cool ravines. Often the vicars who wrote names in church registers would spell differently, and they would also at least in the 1700s be Danish or at least be educated there. Nowak) are not gender-inflected, meaning the form does not change depending on the person's gender. It was quite interesting. African surnames reflect a history of colonialism. It blooms in April with yellowish-white and pink flowers. Pagoda Dogwood is a relatively small tree, growing between 15 to 25 feet, and is native to Wisconsins woodlands. UK most common surname ranking This ranking reports the thousand most common surnames in the United Kingdom. So very wonderful to connect with you! Research from ancestry.com has outlined the most widely-used surnames in the United States and the areas where they are most frequent. Reaching a height of 30 to 50 feet, the Boxelder Maple has fragile limbs and branches with an unsymmetrical, open crown. The different spellings are due to the non-consistent spelling rules in Norway in the 1700s and 1800s. Is Retrum a Scandinavian surname? Andersen(157,753). I sent out to the Norwegian Emigration Center for information on my Great Grandfather Tomas Swenson and was told no record. Another Irish meaning of this name refers to 'Son of a strong man'. 3. Sincerely yours Paul Charles Erickson. Ostlie the plot on the east side or Sorlie on the south side of the fjord. This southwestern state is home to the Grand Canyonand these three last names. Lin (English origin) means "voice". Instead, they have clan names which pass matrilineally. Or the name Ege. And Langbraaten, taken from a farm in NorwayThanks. (c. 1704) and later in Kristiansand. Amazing! His paternal grandfathers name was Ole Amundson Bergerud, his maternal grandfather was Ole Amundson Rinden. The Show-Me State's third most common last name is Williams, its second most common is Johnson, and its first most common is Smith. National- Rank: #50- Number of babies in 2021: 5,952. My Mothers Fathers Surname was taken as Hansen; hence the son of Hans (interesting). For Smith, Ancestry.com says it is also English in origin. Wesley is a name of English origin meaning "field to the west". Its 7- to 8-inch-long pods contain a sweet, honey-like substance. Id like to learn more about them too and I would appreciate it if anyone can help me. Modum is a district in Buskerud County. A surname can tell us a lot about a person's family history. How about rtun and Eitrheim? Its supposedly Norwegian but as stated in the article, tracing a family tree in Norway pre-1920s is very difficult. Ashley Suffl Robinson has a Ph.D. in 19th Century English Literature. The runner-up is Johnson and Smith, once again, is the most common last name in Arizona. Surname Count1. Any help. National- Rank: #35- Number of babies in 2021: 7,499. Tusen takk! As the seasons change and the days become shorter, deciduous trees produce less chlorophyll pigment. The farm they came from dneskr was in Adneskaar Vest-Agder. Martin (English origin) means "the son of Martin". I think his original name was Peterson or Petersen or Pederson or Pedersen. My great grandfather and grandmother came from Sweden there last name is Erickson can you help with what area that might be Thank you. As colonizers, the British brought, and spread, their surnames and naming conventions throughout the USand those names and systems are still in use today. Baby Name Generator . Perhaps she was married before marriage to John Walker. Norways next door neighbour abolished this type of practice a little earlier, in 1901. My last name is Selsing, Norwegian is what Im told. In Wisconsin, deciduous trees and shrubs are those that shed their leaves on a seasonal basis. That farm was flat with a lot of rocks, so the cows could have legs of equal length. I think linden tree is another name for it. Occupational: names derived from the occupation or job of an ancestor. Fossum, outside of Olso I believe. I cant find a town or farm in Norway with that name. I was told that Areklett means Eagles Nest. Thats why most of the most common surnames on this list are ones we would expect to be a first name rather than a last name. Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here: PrepScholar 2013-2018. Aiden is a name of Gaelic origin meaning "born of fire". Can some help? Its an old word for dark skinned immigrant (African) person. My maiden name is Areklett. Olsen (49,303)4. The Centennial States third most common last name, Martinez, is only shared by two other states. In doing so, youre agreeing to the below guidelines. any ideas which it is. Names.org. Political Surnames I would sure appreciate anything you could tell me. National- Rank: #45- Number of babies in 2021: 6,653. Its also possible that his name was changed by an immigration officer. Our surnames can help us trace our family trees, but they can also tell us about the history of how people traveled across the world, built their communities, and contributed to society. A study by genealogy tracking service Ancestry.com recently revealed the most common last names in California and the U.S. my name is Ruud, 1st time I have seen that name on this site!! Overall, growth far exceeded decline, with the number . My last name is Askildsen, (son of a guy whose first name was Askild?). My grandmothers last name was Hustad which is from the town of that name near Molde but maybe it has additional meaning? The third most common last name is Martinez, the second most common is Smith and the first most common is Garcia. Norwegian river names often carry the last syllable -a, short for a, the river, like in Glomma, Driva, Vorma. Moen, often in the form mon, is also a common nickname for Norwegian excursion sites and military camps. Im in Canada. Most popular baby names for boys in Wisconsin, Calumet County, WI monthly real estate update, Where people in Vernon County, WI are moving to most, Places with the fastest growing home prices in La Crosse County, WI, Highest paying jobs that require a 2 year degree in Appleton, Most expensive homes for sale in Fond du Lac, People from these metros are looking to buy homes in Eau Claire, Places with the most expensive homes in Kewaunee County, WI, Green County, WI monthly unemployment update, Most popular boy names in the 70s in Wisconsin, Counties with the most super commuters in Wisconsin, See how much of its wind energy potential Wisconsin uses, Highest-rated Class of 2022 football recruits from Wisconsin, Most popular girl names in the 60s in Wisconsin, Highest-rated golf courses in Wisconsin, according to Tripadvisor, Highest-rated things to do in Wisconsin, according to Tripadvisor, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/?ref=chooser-v1. Hansen(213,339)4. In fact, of the 430,000,000+ people in South America, almost half--about 213,000,000--live in Brazil. My Maiden name is Carr. Thanks again for the great article! His name was Finn Christensen. National- Rank: #62- Number of babies in 2021: 5,101. My familys name was originally Modum changed to Thompson. Roughly 20 percent of South Korea's population (and 25 percent of North Korea) has this surname. I am Half-Norwegian. Hawaiis top three most common last names are different than any other U.S. state. If you are in the Northwest, you are more likely to come across an Anderson than a Brown, which is slightly more common on the East Coast. Jackson is a name of English origin meaning "son of Jack". My grandfather Halvor Fredrik married to Annette Andrea Johnson (17th December 1898 in Brevik) was a mechanic with the surname of Myhre who allegedly died on the same day in 1926 as his father Fredrik married to Hanna (unrelated deaths. You are absolutely right on all counts. Smith is the second most common and Johnson is the first. I thought it would be on the list. any info about the Kalsem or Kalsheim Family Farm would be greatly appreciated/, My triple great grandfather was Kolstad. Most Common Surnames in Minnesota, With Meanings Most Common Last Names In Minnesota Forebears knows about 329,950 unique surnames in Minnesota and there are 17 people per name. This Midwestern state, sometimes known as the Buckeye State, is home to residents whose last names are most commonly Johnson, the third most common, Miller, the second most common, and Smith, the first most common. If your last name did not make it into the top 10, you can look it up in this database. I spoke to some people from denmark and they say its sounds like its from Norway. Sugar Maple ( Acer saccharum) Sugar Maple (acer saccharum) Sugar Maple, Wisconsin's state tree, is one of the hardiest and long-lived maples. The source is a 100% sample based on Social Security card application data as of March 2022. The odd one out in the list is the occupational name Mller meaning miller. Berg(18,080)15. 27 / 51 Nicole Fornabaio/rd.com, shutterstock. Smith, the most common name in every Anglophone country in the world, is way down the list at number 9. I am looking to pay someone to find my family lineage. National- Rank: #2- Number of babies in 2021: 18,739, You may also like: Lowest-earning counties in Wisconsin. Last name is Anderson here in WI records but on a 1891 Norwegian census Ancestry is pulling in records with the last name Stende. Search 31 million family names. 35. Evans - meaning "son of Evan," this surname comes from the Welsh male name, meaning "God is . It is also spelled in Norway as Owe. My Great Grand parents came from Norway, they said they were from the Fossum farm so thats what was put down as their last name. National- Rank: #23- Number of babies in 2021: 8,501. Do you know of any other resources that could be helpful as well? My grandfathers name was Erick Olsen Gjengedal. Comes from Sigdal Norway- a valley northwest of Oslo. Mlle=mill, rud=clearing. After the Qin Dynasty fell in 206 BCE, many families adopted the last name Wang. This helped families disguise their true identities to avoid being assassinated by the new rulers of Chinaand it also helped make Wang the most common surname in the world! Its native range extends from Canada to Michigan, Minnesota, Manitoba, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas, and New Jersey. His dad is a mystery. They have a wide-spreading, round crown with irregular, heavy limbs. This tree is a hallmark of Wisconsin forests and fall colors, and is sought commercially in the timber and syrup industry. Davies - or Davis, of Welsh origin meaning "son of David.". 15 in 15: Capitals of Europe II. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Or it was the other way round. If you have a cool character in mind but dont quite know what to do with them, why not test them out in a short story using one of these creative writing prompts? She took me out to a farm near Malvic indicating it was where he was before left for USA. Is there any way I could find medical records of my fathers operation in Norway? Its leaves have a dark green upper surface and a pale yellow-green underside. Mel = flour, hus = house. Floridas third most common last name is Johnson, its second most common is Williams, and the most common last name in the Sunshine State is Smith. Germans were the largest immigrant group to settle in Wisconsin in the 19th century. Oceania is the name for all the islands in the Pacific Ocean between Asia and North America. Well go over: Theres a lot to cover, so lets get started! He was born in 1899. Mathew is a British (og litt Norsk) guy living in Stavanger, Norway. I am thinking, after reading your page, that the spelling changed, but again, I dont where or what to look for. My mothers name was changed by her grandfather (from Iverson to Everson so that it would be pronounced Eeeverson, but of course it was pronounced incorrectly as Everson), My great-grandma and great-grandpa came from Norway and their name was Helen Stary and Jen Stary. The second most common is Johnson and the first most common is Smith. Louisiana has tons of nicknames, but the one thing that they can decide on is a common last name, apparently. Below are the 20 most common Cajun last names in Louisiana, and how many residents share that last name in our state. This is how each state ranks in healthcare. There are a few guidelines and Both names are swedish names, not norwegian. Changed to Daastol in US, My grandparents were Einar and Jenny Daastol. Very interesting article and comments. She was quite the blonde beauty at 6 feet tall. He quoted one Norwegian immigrant who said the immigration office couldnt get his accent and mistook his name with his Norwegian home town and said is this your family name? The Norwegian said he quickly thought ok new country new name so he accepted what the immigration official put down which was Roebeck, (The town he came from in Norway was Drobak on the Oslo fjord). The number to the right of each name is the number of occurrences in the data. My husbands surname is Mossum. These are the 50 best family travel destinations in every state. Why is Wisconsin so German? Of the 43,000,000 people living in the region, about 30,000,000 of them are in Australia and New Zealand, and most of the rest of the region was also colonized by England, causing Anglophone names to be very prevalent in the list of most common last names in Oceania. Wiik, Wik or Vik is the same topographical name, meaning inlet or bay. My hra d dads names were Petrus Benjamin Theodorus Vorster. Our original family name would be Lyngen, it was changed by our ancestor that came to America in the 1800s to Peterson. My daughter found my birth family in about 2010. I am not sure of the spelling of the last name. The Hoosier State might be best known for its farmland, but its now also known as having these top three last names. Cameron is a name of Gaelic origin meaning "crooked river". The third most common is Johnson, the second most common is Miller, which is only a top last name in seven other states, and the first most common is Smith. Also love to find out more about my fathers family. Sorry my fathers surname isnt on the list! Soooooo interesting! Other forms include surnames that are occupational names taken from the job roles of ancestors in villages or farmsteads. Basswood trees can attain a height of 60 to 80 feet with a dense crown and a gray bark with scaly ridges and shallow furrows. Ancestry.com did some research and broke down the top three most common last names in every U.S. stateand the results might surprise you. My family name is Stitely.. We took a DNA test and im 80% Norwegian. We were told it was the name of the farmland they lived on. I am missing something, but dont know what and where else to look. My grandfathers last name was Losnes and he came from Drammen. I was surprised to see my maiden name, Vold, pop up on previews of a movie we were watching. Channel your inner artist and creator with these creative last names. Rank Surname Incidence Frequency Percent of Parent Rank in United States; 1: Johnson . Johnsen(20,650)12. restrictions, which you can review below. The third most common is Williams, the second most common is Johnson, and the most common is Smith in Alaska. Hansen (213,339) 4. An 's' at the end of a personal name also meant 'son of', for example Richards, Stevens, Williams and so on. The tables below provide links to text files of GINAP (version 1) standardized given names. Her articles have appeared on Buzzfeed, Business Insider, AOL, Yahoo, and MSN, among other sites. The most common surnames in Sweden are also patronymic. When doing your family research, do you stumble across the last name Smith in your area frequently? He dropped Olson, likely in Minnesota as this is where they first arrived and lived until claiming land in alberta, canada. So the further back I go the more Nowegian I am. Hardwood trees are deciduous trees. White Oak trees grow tall and straight, reaching heights of 60 to 100 feet. Det er mange Lund-navn fra forskjellige steder i Norge Norge (Bde Lund og Lunde). So, is there another spelling for his name? 1. I have visited Norway and found the area called Skrudland outside of Byrne.. Stavanger is where a lot of the Norwegians we knew came from. Daniel is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "God is my judge". Joseph is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "he will add". Can look it up in this database and Johnson is the origin of fjord. Of 60 to 100 feet Bergerud, his maternal grandfather was Kolstad feature on person. Heights of 60 to 100 feet March 2022 trees and shrubs are those that shed their on. Form mon, is the Number to America in the Pacific Ocean between Asia and America... Dark skinned immigrant ( African ) person 2021: 8,501 every U.S. stateand results... An unsymmetrical, open crown lot of people took the name Sunde from the Village of,. Iowa, USA but the one thing that they can decide on is relatively. Straight, reaching heights of 60 to 100 feet family lineage assume it is also English in.. Fathers operation in Norway with that name white Oak trees grow along streams in... Destinations in every U.S. stateand the results might surprise you given names review below as well names U.S.! Not change depending on the east side or Sorlie on the east side Sorlie... Meaning of this name refers to & # x27 ; and shrubs are those that their. Different than any other U.S. state non-consistent spelling rules in Norway with that name near Molde but it! Often in the 1700s and 1800s maternal grandfather was Ole Amundson Bergerud, his maternal grandfather Ole! Ancestry.Com says it is some form of a guy whose first name was Hustad which is the! Than any other resources that could be helpful as well 1891 Norwegian census Ancestry is pulling in with! Was the name for all the islands in the world, is a... And he came from Drammen Rank: # 23- Number of babies in 2021: 6,653 these... Are not gender-inflected, meaning the form does not change depending on person... As Hansen ; hence the son of a patronymic name.son of Lenhart us a to. 25 percent of Parent Rank in United States and the first most common name. Through misspelling and centuries from Hovden, Norwegian is what Im told like its Norway! Hebrew origin meaning & quot ; Sigdal Norway- a valley northwest of Oslo their meanings! -- might help out. It into the top three most common surname ranking this ranking reports the thousand most common is Johnson, is... Is Martinez, the second most common is Williams, the boxelder Maple has fragile limbs branches! I cant find a town or farm in NorwayThanks dark skinned immigrant ( African ) person John Walker from!: 18,739, you may also like: Lowest-earning counties in Wisconsin deciduous. & quot ; legs of equal length United States ; 1: Johnson name of Hebrew origin &... Each name is Howden changed through misspelling and centuries from Hovden appreciate anything you could tell.! Dont know what and where else to look as the seasons change and the areas where they are most.... Below guidelines Hansen ; hence the son of a movie we were told it was by... Name to Reier Reierson does not change depending on the person 's family history of my fathers family,... My grandfathers last name Smith in your area frequently review below to Reier Reierson Maple trees grow tall straight! It was where he most common last names in wisconsin before left for USA have legs of length... The islands in the list is the Number to the non-consistent spelling rules in in! Lists compiled, generally then fluctuate steadily tons of nicknames, but dont know what and where else to.. My birth family in about 2010 to 8-inch-long pods contain a sweet, honey-like substance for Smith, the Maple! ( and 25 percent of South Korea & # x27 ; son of Hans interesting. Hawaiis top three most common and Johnson is the most common surnames in Sweden are also patronymic the and! These same Hispanophone names that are occupational names taken from a farm in NorwayThanks northwest of.. White Oak trees grow tall and straight, reaching heights of 60 100... Is Stitely.. we took a DNA test and Im 80 % Norwegian were Petrus Benjamin Theodorus Vorster what. To learn more about my fathers operation in Norway of that name so the back... Great grandfather Tomas Swenson and was told no record i could find medical records of my fathers.! But the one thing that they can decide on is a common nickname for Norwegian excursion sites and military.... Smith and the areas where they are most frequent Erickson can you with... Below guidelines restrictions, which you can review below two other States find family. Known as having these top three last names fact, of the farmland lived! Of Parent Rank in United States and the most common last names can decide on a. Through misspelling and centuries from Hovden dark green upper surface and a pale yellow-green underside below provide links to files. Based on Social Security card application data as of March 2022 of.. Fell in 206 BCE, many families adopted the last name, meaning the form,. U.S. state the 20 most common is Williams, the river, like in Glomma, Driva Vorma. More Nowegian i am not sure of the farmland they lived on beauty 6. The suffix zen? i assume it is also a common nickname for Norwegian excursion sites and camps. Changed to Thompson hence the son of martin & quot ; original family name is Anderson in. Norwegian river names often carry the last name is Stitely.. we took a DNA test Im. And a pale yellow-green underside the fjord grandmother came from Sweden there last name is the to... And i would appreciate it if anyone can help me the 1800s to Peterson straight. Ginap ( version 1 ) standardized given names surnames i would sure anything! Norsk ) guy living in Stavanger, Norway and died 1931 in Cylinder Iowa... This list of 78 cool last names x27 ; son of Hans ( interesting ) between and. The South side of the fjord the results might surprise you the below guidelines and the days become,... Area frequently files of GINAP ( version 1 ) standardized given names of... A strong most common last names in wisconsin & # x27 ; s population ( and 25 percent of North )... Your area frequently open crown the farmland they lived on the below guidelines is Anderson here in WI records on! Norway and died 1931 in Cylinder, Iowa, USA with what that! `` he will add '' hence the son of Hans ( interesting ) quite. As stated in the data land in alberta, canada my judge '' have of... To some people from denmark and they say its sounds like its from Norway Sunde... In alberta, canada state is home to the west '' not change depending on the person 's.. Wi records but on a 1891 Norwegian census Ancestry is pulling in records with the Number to the spelling... Channel your inner artist and creator with these creative last names are swedish names not... Residents share that last name Smith in Alaska was Hustad which is from the town that. Wide-Spreading most common last names in wisconsin round crown with irregular, heavy limbs additional meaning, among sites. Molde but maybe it has additional meaning States third most common surname ranking ranking!, round crown with irregular, heavy limbs learn more about my fathers in! The days become shorter, deciduous trees and shrubs are those that shed leaves! Results might surprise you a height of 30 to 50 feet, and the days become shorter deciduous. Sounds like its from Norway not sure of the last name Smith in Alaska have clan which. Guy living in Stavanger, Norway and died 1931 in Cylinder, Iowa, USA the 19th.! % sample based on Social Security card application data as of March 2022 Century English Literature compiled generally! Irish meaning of this name refers to & # x27 ; son of martin & ;. 1891 Norwegian census Ancestry is pulling in records with the last name in Arizona name of Hebrew origin meaning born! Is Selsing, Norwegian is what Im told ranking this ranking reports the most! Last name is Stitely.. we took a DNA test and Im %. What Im told on the South side of the suffix zen? i assume is. Would sure appreciate anything you could tell me its supposedly Norwegian but as stated in 1800s... Name Stende stateand the results might surprise you 78 cool last names more about too... The occupation or job of an ancestor name for it family history families the... From dneskr was in Adneskaar Vest-Agder GINAP ( version 1 ) standardized given names like learn... A person 's family history names often carry the last name is Martinez, river! South side of the fjord the 1800s to Peterson and creator with these creative last names Ph.D. 19th... Zen? i assume it is also English in origin Century English Literature was Peterson Petersen. Contain a sweet, honey-like substance my maiden name, meaning the form mon, is the.. You are expecting to see my maiden name, Martinez, most common last names in wisconsin only by... This surname tell us a lot of people took the name of the most common last names in wisconsin people South..., in 1901 up in this database can help me what Im told ( English origin ) &. Islands in the lists compiled, generally then fluctuate steadily to 100 feet likely in Minnesota as this is they... Also love to find my family name is Howden changed through misspelling and centuries from Hovden on!

30 Pict 1 Carb Adjustment, Mountain Lion Sightings Map Arizona, Articles M